Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecamel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I recently purchased an old 10GB 2nd Gen iPod off eBay and have spent the last week trying to get it to connect to one of my computers. It's a Windows model formatted in FAT32, and it came with one song loaded on it. That song plays fine and the rest of the standalone functionality works fine.

The problems come when attempting to connect it to a computer.

I've tried across multiple computers:

2018 Mac Mini (running Big Sur)
2015 MacBook Pro (running Big Sur)
2011 MacBook Pro (Running Sierra)

and I've tried connecting via a FireWire 400 to FireWire 800 cable, as well as using that cable going into a FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter.

When I connect the iPod to any of the computers, it charges but does not mount. It does not show up in iTunes or Apple Music and also does not show up in Disk Utility.

Additionally, I attempted putting the iPod into Disk Mode and seeing if that would allow it to connect properly. When putting the iPod into Disk Mode, it displays the "Safe To Disconnect" message (instead of "Do Not Disconnect") and still will not sync/mount on the computer.

The last thing I attempted was using a converter board USB cable adapter with just the hard drive to check and see if that would show up on the computer by itself. The hard drive mounts and displays in Disk Utility via the converter board USB cable adapter (I verified the formatting and checked that the hard drive was fully functional.)

I suspect the issue is some sort of problem with the firmware installed onto the iPod's hardware, but since I can't get it to connect to the computer I'm unable to update it.

I'm planning on testing connectivity on an older Mac later this week, but figured I'd see if anyone had any recommendations prior to going out of my way to do that.

joecamel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Have you tried usb? I have a third Gen that has been so stubborn with FireWire but works great with usb.
FireWire to USB does not exist. They have different data transfer protocols and are not compatible with one another.

Additionally the 1st and 2nd Gen iPods only have a FireWire 400 port onboard, not a 30 pin connector.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
FireWire to USB does not exist. They have different data transfer protocols and are not compatible with one another.

Additionally the 1st and 2nd Gen iPods only have a FireWire 400 port onboard, not a 30 pin connector.
Sorry forgot about that. I also had the same problem as you, whereby the iPod would not mount and I used a similar set up, both with the FireWire 400 to 800 to my 2011 Mac, and FireWire 400 to 800 to thunderbolt 2 to my MacBook Air 2013. I was finally able to mount and restore using a 30pin to usb, hence my suggestion.

Reactions: joecamel

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
I recently purchased an old 10GB 2nd Gen iPod off eBay and have spent the last week trying to get it to connect to one of my computers. It's a Windows model formatted in FAT32, and it came with one song loaded on it. That song plays fine and the rest of the standalone functionality works fine.

The problems come when attempting to connect it to a computer.

I've tried across multiple computers:

2018 Mac Mini (running Big Sur)
2015 MacBook Pro (running Big Sur)
2011 MacBook Pro (Running Sierra)

and I've tried connecting via a FireWire 400 to FireWire 800 cable, as well as using that cable going into a FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter.

When I connect the iPod to any of the computers, it charges but does not mount. It does not show up in iTunes or Apple Music and also does not show up in Disk Utility.

Additionally, I attempted putting the iPod into Disk Mode and seeing if that would allow it to connect properly. When putting the iPod into Disk Mode, it displays the "Safe To Disconnect" message (instead of "Do Not Disconnect") and still will not sync/mount on the computer.

The last thing I attempted was using a converter board USB cable adapter with just the hard drive to check and see if that would show up on the computer by itself. The hard drive mounts and displays in Disk Utility via the converter board USB cable adapter (I verified the formatting and checked that the hard drive was fully functional.)

I suspect the issue is some sort of problem with the firmware installed onto the iPod's hardware, but since I can't get it to connect to the computer I'm unable to update it.

I'm planning on testing connectivity on an older Mac later this week, but figured I'd see if anyone had any recommendations prior to going out of my way to do that.
Hi,
I guess your iPod is broken. I also had this issue. With another HDD with songs it would play fine. But you cannot load songs to the HDD with your FireWire port. Sorry.

joecamel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I tested the iPod with an older iMac and it still did not connect.

My final resolution was that there was an issue with either the Firewire 400 port on the iPod or the Logic Board. I purchased a replacement Logic Board off eBay, installed it, and was able to successfully get the iPod to connect to the latest version of the Music/iTunes app.

Reactions: Slix

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I tested the iPod with an older iMac and it still did not connect.

My final resolution was that there was an issue with either the Firewire 400 port on the iPod or the Logic Board. I purchased a replacement Logic Board off eBay, installed it, and was able to successfully get the iPod to connect to the latest version of the Music/iTunes app.
That's really awesome that an old FireWire iPod will connect to the music app. Kudos to Apple I guess! I keep an old G4 iMac running on my desk (because those things are awesome!), and I keep wondering when the day is coming that it's going to be the only machine that'll connect to my iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.