Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crobcary

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I have two 7th-gen 160GB iPod classics that I purchased sealed-in-box over the winter. Both of the serials indicated manufacture shortly before discontinuation, which means the batteries are a bit over seven years old. Having charged both of them right after receiving, I've been using one of them regularly and keeping the other in box. While the battery in my current one is better than I thought it'd be, I think I'm going to do replacement on both of them.

I'm aware the 7th-generation classics are really not jobs for amateurs; has anyone had particularly good success with a particular mail-in servicer? I'd like to keep them as mint as possible, so I want to avoid scratching/dust under display/bent back. Would love a recommendation! Cost is not necessarily a concern (within reason).

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
I have two 7th-gen 160GB iPod classics that I purchased sealed-in-box over the winter. Both of the serials indicated manufacture shortly before discontinuation, which means the batteries are a bit over seven years old. Having charged both of them right after receiving, I've been using one of them regularly and keeping the other in box. While the battery in my current one is better than I thought it'd be, I think I'm going to do replacement on both of them.

I'm aware the 7th-generation classics are really not jobs for amateurs; has anyone had particularly good success with a particular mail-in servicer? I'd like to keep them as mint as possible, so I want to avoid scratching/dust under display/bent back. Would love a recommendation! Cost is not necessarily a concern (within reason).
Funny enough, the battery in my 7th gen that I bought a couple of years ago started swelling (had a bubble on the screen). Been a minute since I did mine, but I did it with minimal scratching and it turned out great! Get the iPod opening tool: https://www.idemigods.com/iPod_iPhone_iPad_iSesamo_Opening_Tool_p/isesamo_tool.htm

I would also get the iFixit pro tech toolkit. This will come with guitar picks and spudgers (in addition to all the screwdrivers you need to repair most electronics)

Take your time. Watch some videos. It's doable!

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
The video I watched to learn is this one:

He made some mistakes and explains how to avoid them.

crobcary

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
The video I watched to learn is this one:

He made some mistakes and explains how to avoid them.
Thanks; I will keep this in mind, if I don't find anything satisfactory—I'd like to keep it with a service, if only for a warranty that comes with the work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.