Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TriumphRider99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
Eugene, Oregon
The iPod in question is at the repair shop so I can't provide specific model info. It was, however, converted to a 128GB solid-state drive about a year ago and up until recently worked flawlessly. About two weeks ago, it refused to start up. All I saw was a dark screen with the Apple logo seen very faintly in the background. I sent it to a reputable repair shop and got a note back today indicating that all they could find wrong with it was the battery, which was dead. I have no recollection as to whether or not the battery was replaced when another shop did the SSD upgrade. The shop indicated that all they could see that was wrong was the dead battery.

They asked me what I had been using to charge it, and I said that I had, for all three of my iPods, been using the same Samsung charger I used to charge my Samsung phone, along with the USB to 30-pin iPod connector.

The shop advised me to buy this device from a Chinese seller on eBay -

A1070 1394 Firewire Apple iPod Power Adapter + FW 6Pin to 30Pin Data Cable Cord​

I don't understand why I need this setup. Is there something wrong with using my current setup? I did a couple of thorough Internet searches and, besides finding this great forum, found no reason why using my current setup would cause any damage.

Perhaps someone here could clear up the mystery, one way or the other. Thanks in advance for any assistance or opinions.

Bud

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Firewire chargers supply a higher voltage and so are faster for most iPods, but not necessary from 4th genernation onwards. Ist to 3rd gen iPods need firewire for charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.