Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Is there any way to still get one that is either new and unopened or an open-boxed one that was never used for a good price online? I have one, but it was a refurb (I think) and the click wheel is a bit meh, and it has some dead pixels in it (that happened on my part).

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Is there any way to still get one that is either new and unopened or an open-boxed one that was never used for a good price online? I have one, but it was a refurb (I think) and the click wheel is a bit meh, and it has some dead pixels in it (that happened on my part).
A new or never used iPod classic for a good price? I doubt it.

They are collectors items now. A legitimate one in new condition would likely fetch a substantial price. I did a quick search on eBay and saw lots of scam listings for refurbished ones. When they say new they're talking about it comes in a new box. I guess that's how they get away with the listing.

Reactions: VirtuallyInsane

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
A new or never used iPod classic for a good price? I doubt it.

They are collectors items now. A legitimate one in new condition would likely fetch a substantial price. I did a quick search on eBay and saw lots of scam listings for refurbished ones. When they say new they're talking about it comes in a new box. I guess that's how they get away with the listing.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I'm looking to have one for backing up all my podcasts, and all my music collection to play on my speaker system. I don't care about bringing it out anywhere. Just was looking for something big enough to hold everything but if they're too expensive, this will have to do for now.

I don't know how to put it all on a newer iPod Touch anyway. I don't want Apple Music on it, just my downloaded songs from iTunes copied and downloaded onto it without the need for the internet. An iPod is probably the best solution, imo.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yeah, that's unfortunate. I'm looking to have one for backing up all my podcasts, and all my music collection to play on my speaker system. I don't care about bringing it out anywhere. Just was looking for something big enough to hold everything but if they're too expensive, this will have to do for now.

I don't know how to put it all on a newer iPod Touch anyway. I don't want Apple Music on it, just my downloaded songs from iTunes copied and downloaded onto it without the need for the internet. An iPod is probably the best solution, imo.
Have you ever thought about using a Mac or PC with Apple Music? Don’t let the Apple Music name scare you because it’s basically iTunes if you’re playing files on a computer. You don’t have to use the “Apple Music” subscription service. Apple is terrible about naming it’s services the same as the app and sometimes hardware. Apple TV comes to mind.

Of course, maybe a dedicated PC or Mac might be out of your budget or too much of a hassle if you don’t already have an older system lying around. I was just throwing out some suggestions.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Have you ever thought about using a Mac or PC with Apple Music? Don’t let the Apple Music name scare you because it’s basically iTunes if you’re playing files on a computer. You don’t have to use the “Apple Music” subscription service. Apple is terrible about naming it’s services the same as the app and sometimes hardware. Apple TV comes to mind.

Of course, maybe a dedicated PC or Mac might be out of your budget or too much of a hassle if you don’t already have an older system lying around. I was just throwing out some suggestions.
I have the Apple Music app, and I don't enjoy it on my Macbook (got it in 2021), but I have a 2019 iMac that still has iTunes on it, and I use that for syncing my iPods. I'm not really a fan of playing my music in Apple Music/iTunes on my Mac(s) but it's better than nothing, I guess. A lot less compressed than YouTube is.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
The other issue is that a new sealed iPod Classic is going to have a trash battery that will need to be replaced.

Ideally, yours can be repaired - I do them all the time. Clickwheels can be swapped out, and so can screens. The later gen iPods are famous for having scroll issues, even untouched ones when they were new so it might just be your unit in particular.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
The other issue is that a new sealed iPod Classic is going to have a trash battery that will need to be replaced.

Ideally, yours can be repaired - I do them all the time. Clickwheels can be swapped out, and so can screens. The later gen iPods are famous for having scroll issues, even untouched ones when they were new so it might just be your unit in particular.
Thanks, that is also another idea. I could replace the screen and the click wheel, and the battery too. I could find a cheap one on CeX too, in good condition but again, if the parts are a good price... why not try?

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks, that is also another idea. I could replace the screen and the click wheel, and the battery too. I could find a cheap one on CeX too, in good condition but again, if the parts are a good price... why not try?
My main thing is! Just be careful trying to open up a 7th gen. They’re a little unforgiving! If you need any help, let me know!

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
My main thing is! Just be careful trying to open up a 7th gen. They’re a little unforgiving! If you need any help, let me know!
Thanks. Do you recommend using the metal spudger for this? I think that I might need to buy one of those as well if the job calls for it.

81NfNIs0iVL._AC_SY355_.jpg

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks. Do you recommend using the metal spudger for this? I think that I might need to buy one of those as well if the job calls for it.

81NfNIs0iVL._AC_SY355_.jpg
This is exactly what I use! Just have to be careful to not scratch up the finish. The 7th gens are the hardest to open in general, just be patient!

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I recommend using one of these. And watch a video first, so you know exactly how to move it. I like this one -
Yes, I am definitely going to find one (or two) of those blades after watching that video. He did it twice, good job... and you cab get 3000mH batteries? No way! Might look for one of those too...

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
There’s tons of counterfeit ebay ones saying it’s new in box for $200. No way it’s new. I wish there was an apple re-release to guarantee a new iPod.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
There’s tons of counterfeit ebay ones saying it’s new in box for $200. No way it’s new. I wish there was an apple re-release to guarantee a new iPod.
Yeah, or at this rate, I might go to CeX and buy a high-quality second-hand one. Or a refurb one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.