Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Image.jpeg

Haven't used this thing in 4 years. Back then I started noticing some HDD related issues & now it seems way more severe. It barely recognises in computer and boots 5 times before gettingg to home screen. It's very bad. It's a 160G last Gen iPod Classic. I have been using iPhone 7, Airpods & Macbook Pro for past few years & don't necessarily want to go back to using the iPod fully. But I would love to have it fixed only if I can do that cheap.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to repair or sell would be appreciated. Thank you.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I'd chuck the old hard drive and replace it with an iFlash adapter plus an SD card. Check them out here: https://www.iflash.xyz/

The only thing to be wary of is that the iPod classic is a little tricky to get open, as it has metal clips on the back case that hold the faceplate on. But once you get the iFlash in you'll wind up with a more reliable and power efficient iPod in the end!

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I'd chuck the old hard drive and replace it with an iFlash adapter plus an SD card. Check them out here: https://www.iflash.xyz/

The only thing to be wary of is that the iPod classic is a little tricky to get open, as it has metal clips on the back case that hold the faceplate on. But once you get the iFlash in you'll wind up with a more reliable and power efficient iPod in the end!
Thank you for posting.

That's exactly what all my research lead to. But I was heartbroken when I found out that I can't sync Apple Music library. Makes sense because of DRM & all that. But still unfortunate. I wish there was something I could do to (mod or jailbreak) so I can listen to my existing music library on it. But that seems like an impossibility. At this point, any expense towards the repair & recovery of the iPod would be only for sentimental value to me. I'm thinking about it; whether or not I should. :p

alissa914g

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you for posting.

That's exactly what all my research lead to. But I was heartbroken when I found out that I can't sync Apple Music library. Makes sense because of DRM & all that. But still unfortunate. I wish there was something I could do to (mod or jailbreak) so I can listen to my existing music library on it. But that seems like an impossibility. At this point, any expense towards the repair & recovery of the iPod would be only for sentimental value to me. I'm thinking about it; whether or not I should. :p
It doesn't really make sense though... :) I just think they abandoned the Classic and didn't try to program it in . The unit can do rentals with video so it's technically possible for it to do it with expiring audio like all other players could do before it.

They just didn't want to upgrade the old lines for Apple Music and really killed off the Classic just before it came out... :/ Shame, really. I'm just glad they let you download the tracks to your PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.