Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

librarypaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2023
Hi,

My iPods have recently stopped syncing with iTunes and kept crashing. I have iTunes 12.9.6.3 and my laptop which I only use for storing iTunes is Windows 8.1 64 bit. Looking online I’ve seen various older articles about the clash between these and in principle reverting back to an earlier version of iTunes (poss 9) which may get things back to how they were.

I can follow procedures to do this if this works, but as there’s a few different articles with different approaches is there a general definitive way forward that I can follow so - if the going back a few iTunes versions is the way - I can do this without losing my library and personalised playlists and song ratings. I tried to back up my iTunes Library but it failed but I do have all my songs backed up. I’m wondering whether when doing the opposite of an update by going back a few versions if it slots in the same way, or it needs to be a complete uninstall, reinstall with say 9, and then starting from scratch with rebuilding my Library.

If I do need to install any older versions where is the safest place to do so?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

tragicwinding

Suspended
May 23, 2023
Hi @librarypaul,

Your issue might be due to a conflict with other applications on your system. One way to check this is to perform a clean boot, which helps in eliminating software conflicts. Here's a guide on how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135. Remember to reset your computer to its usual state after the clean boot troubleshooting.

You could also try resetting your iPod and check if that resolves the issue. Another solution would be to uninstall and reinstall iTunes. The steps referred to Windows 8 are applicable to Windows 8.1 as well. Here's a guide for removing and reinstalling iTunes and related software components: https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht1923.

Reactions: librarypaul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.