Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Secubia

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2019
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey everyone!

I connected my iPod Classic 160GB to my MB Air 2020 running Catalina and it deleted one of my playlists. The playlist was created on the iPod as an On-the-go playlist, and then saved. I was hoping to be able to get the playlist over to the Mac but instead the playlist disappeared from the iPod and I do not see it in Music on the Mac either. Interestingly, it kept my other playlist which was also created on the iPod.
Well, lesson learned. In the future I'll create my playlists on the computer instead...

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a Catalina thing?
The iPod was set to "manually manage" so a sync should not have occurred.
Is there any way of recovering a lost playlist on the iPod Classic?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I didn't use On the go playlist much, but I do believe it empties out every time the iPod is connected to the computer. I can test this later today with my Mac to see if it wipes it clean.

Secubia

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2019
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks, I appreciate your reply.

If I recall correctly, with iTunes I think it "sealed" the playlist with each connection to the computer so you could no longer edit that specific playlist from the iPod, and a new On-the-go was created. I've been experimenting back and forth today and can't even seem to recreate the issue. The other playlists I create stay put whatever I do. I'm really bummed out about losing that one playlist though. Oh well, one should always have backups of anything important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.