Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarwizard93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Hi all,

Hoping to get some expert advice here on a topic I have no doubt some of you will be sick of reading. I've searched and searched but can't find any sort of solution.

I've got an mSATA 128GB SSD, which is formatted to FAT32 and definitely works. This is mounted on an mSATA to ZIF adaptor board inside my 6th gen (originally 120GB) iPod Classic. I know the ribbon cables and the iPod itself works as when I put the old HDD back in, it loads up. I know the SSD works cause I can read it externally no problem. I *hope* the mSATA to ZIF board works, as that was the first thing I thought was broken and have exchanged it for a new one so believe I've eliminated that potentially weak link in the chain.

However, still, all I get when powering the iPod up is the red cross directing me to Apple support.

Has anyone else encountered this, and potentially have a fix??

Thanks so much in advance!
Liam

guitarwizard93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Did you try this?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203170

If I remember correctly newer OSs will put a bunch of extra partitions on your disk, which is probably screwing with the iPod's firmware. Try formatting the drive as FAT16/MBR and see if that works?

I've tried the support guide, but I'm unable to put the iPod into disk mode, it just doesn't do it.. So I can't recover it in iTunes as iTunes doesn't see it at all.

Just having a look at reformatting to MBR now, should I be looking to do this with a single partition? By default the drive had two partitions, on that's only about 200MB and then the rest as accessible storage. Sorry if that's a total noob question!

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Hi,
format the ssd to FAT or ExFAT, the MBR (Master Boot Record) must be created. Then iTunes should see the iPod and you can restore it. If iTunes or the PC doesn't see the iPod or the red cross is displayed, then the hardware must be damaged. Maybe an adapter or something else.

Regards
Torsten

guitarwizard93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Hi,
format the ssd to FAT or ExFAT, the MBR (Master Boot Record) must be created. Then iTunes should see the iPod and you can restore it. If iTunes or the PC doesn't see the iPod or the red cross is displayed, then the hardware must be damaged. Maybe an adapter or something else.

Regards
Torsten

I'm at a total loss now in that case :/

I've formatted it correctly (as best I know).

The iPod hardware is fine as it still works with the old HDD sometimes.

The SSD has been tested and is fine.

The mSATA to ZIF adapter board is the only other thing that could be busted, but this is my second one having assumed that to be the problem at first and still nothing. I'd be surprised to have two dodgy ones in a row :/

Guess that's the iPod put to bed unless anyone else has any super ideas? :(

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Hi,
I don‘t have any idea. I always use SD-cards to mod my iPods. Why so you use mSATA? I guess the power consumption is much higher in comparison to a SD card. And ZIF to CF adaptors are much cheaper, around 2 bugs ans CF to SD adaptors cost less than 10 bugs.

Regards
Torsten

guitarwizard93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Hi,
I don‘t have any idea. I always use SD-cards to mod my iPods. Why so you use mSATA? I guess the power consumption is much higher in comparison to a SD card. And ZIF to CF adaptors are much cheaper, around 2 bugs ans CF to SD adaptors cost less than 10 bugs.

Regards
Torsten

It was primarily a cost/capacity choice, I could get a 128GB mSATA SSD for less than an equivalent SD card. That and the guide I found for the upgrade was using an SSD so I figured best to copy the guide to get the same results. Clearly that didn't work out as planned :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.