Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TGDW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2023
I have tried to play my old ipod in my new car. It doesn't have Bluetooth so through a cable. The car does not recognise it so doesn't appear on the screen. Is there any quick fix ?

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I have tried to play my old ipod in my new car. It doesn't have Bluetooth so through a cable. The car does not recognise it so doesn't appear on the screen. Is there any quick fix ?
What type of cable connection are you using? If it is USB the car may just be expecting a mass storage device with a simple file structure, and not an old iPod. If it is an AUX connection, then it should work fine. Otherwise you'll need to add an extra device, such as a Bluetooth or FM transmitter to connect to you iPod. Some cars are very restricted about what Bluetooth devices they will connect to. My wife's 2015 Honda seems to only find phones, and none of the transmitters I have tested.

TGDW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2023
Hi. It's a USB connection. When you say use an AUX connection is that the smaller plug like a charging point. The ipod doesn't have Bluetooth, so how would I add an FM transmitter. My radio in the car has FM, do I go with that rather than DAB ? Thanks.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Some cars have an AUX input to the built-in stereo, usually with a 3.5mm stereo jack for input. For that, you'd use a cable with a male 3.5mm stereo plugs on each end, one end plugged into the headphone jack of your iPod, the other end plugged into the AUX jack for your stereo. You'd have to select AUX on your stereo.

There are add-on bluetooth transmitters for iPods using the 30-pin connector. I have no experience with those. Should you get one, please let us know how it works.

As for an FM transmitter, Griffin make something called the iTrip which plugs into the 30-pin connector on older iPods. I've never used one of the newer models, but I used to use an older model with my 4th gen iPod Photo and it worked fine. Using a cable and the AUX input was more reliable though.

TGDW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2023
Hi. The car doesn't have a 3.5mm socket. Can I get an adapter, 3.5mm to the USB or smaller charging socket ? Otherwise the Bluetooth transmitter, which I would have to plug into the ipod, sounds like an idea ? Thanks.

TGDW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2023
Many thanks for your help. I'll try and get the Bluetooth transmitter. If it works I'll let you know.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Many thanks for your help. I'll try and get the Bluetooth transmitter. If it works I'll let you know.
Sounds good, hope it works well for you. One thing you might want to think about is charging. iPods with the 30-pin connector are charged through that connector, and it didn't look to me like you can plug in the bluetooth adapter and also charge at the same time. That probably wouldn't be a problem around town but might be a factor on long road trips.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
It might be worth searching the internet for your specific car model/stereo to try and find Bluetooth devices that it will pair with. The ones that connect to the iPod 30pin connector will be quite old. There are other models which you would connect to the headphone output instead.

TGDW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2023
Unfortunately the Bluetooth transmitter idea hasn't worked. The car recognised the transmitter but that was that. No sound from the ipod through the car? So I'll have to download music from another source to my mobile, and take it from there. Thanks for your help.

• Sad
Reactions: Grumpus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.