Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyebeaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
My iPod hasn't given me any trouble for the 5 months that I have owned it and all of a sudden when I plug it in, it starts to sync automatically (as it is set to do) and I get the error message "Attempting to copy to the disk 'Aaron's iPod' failed. The disk could not be read from or written to." Does anyone know what could be wrong here? The iPod still plays music just fine so I am assuming the disk is not damaged. I have not dropped it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

G-Com

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
North of The 'Nati
My iPod hasn't given me any trouble for the 5 months that I have owned it and all of a sudden when I plug it in, it starts to sync automatically (as it is set to do) and I get the error message "Attempting to copy to the disk 'Aaron's iPod' failed. The disk could not be read from or written to." Does anyone know what could be wrong here? The iPod still plays music just fine so I am assuming the disk is not damaged. I have not dropped it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Do you have iTunes set to automatically synch the iPod?

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
The same thing happened to me. Turns out it was my external hard drive that was failing, and not my iPod classic.

Jackiewab

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
I know.

Well. I had the same problem it worked perfectly for me, I was trying to put cracked ipas on my 8gb ipod touch, on firmware 2.1, and i had to replace mobile installation with another one, and i screwed up something so when let itunes automatically sync my music into my ipod touch, it would say Attempting to copy to the disk 'Jackiewab' failed. The disk could not be read from or written to." Any ways, i found this in a another forum, it worked for me, i dont know if it will work for you but it did give me the exact same problem, just set it to "Manually manage music and videos" in the summary(when you plug in yoru ipod to itunes)
And after that i was able to listen to music and watch videos on my ipod touch. Anyways tell me if it works
PS:eek:r you could go ask a proffessional"
Cheers:):apple::apple::apple:
:apple:Forever
Jackie.

xamaxam

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
one or the other

I had the same issue. Kept getting "the disk could not be read from or written to" message.
I tried two things at once, so I'm not sure which one worked, but the ipod is syncing again.

1. Ejected all of my external hard drives.
2. Ejected my ipod then connected it to a different USB port.

Synced like a charm.

theartofdreamin

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2010
This really worked!

I had the same issue. Kept getting "the disk could not be read from or written to" message.
I tried two things at once, so I'm not sure which one worked, but the ipod is syncing again.

Synced like a charm.

Shocking, but this really worked. I had the same issue with my iPhone so I unplugged my NAS, plugged it back in, and then used a different USB connection to connect my iPhone to my PC. Voila! it synced just like xamaxam said. I've had consistent problems with my PC not being able to "see" my NAS so I think that was what did it. I doubt it was the USB because iTunes diagnostics work just fine.

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
This happened to me in the summer, I thought the iPod was defective it was still under warranty so I took it into Apple, anyhow it synced fine on the store computer :rolleyes: turns out there was something wrong with the PC I was attempting to sync it to (my husbands) I came home and tried it on another computer and it was ok.

jonnie5

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
same problem with a drobo

agghhh.. I was having the same problem ever since i moved my itunes drive to a drobo. Due to the timing i knew it was something to do with the drobo. As it turns out if i connect my drobo via firewire I cannot sync media to my iphone 3GS (contacts, cal, etc sync fine). Switch the drobo to a USB connection however and all is well!

Wierd....

jonnie

icemommy

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks, that worked

Synced like a charm.

I have no idea why that worked, but it did. Thank you so much for posting.

Ax Guitar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Hi!
I know it's old stuff... but I had that problem too and I figure it out (in my case) Non of the things mentioned up there worked. So here's one more solution/option :

If you have your iTunes music on a different HD/SSD (I'm in 2021 right now) You may want to allowed all permissions pressing (cmd+i) when you select the drive (righting, readying, etc.)

Then, You might want to do the same with your ipod drive image on your desktop.

Then, go to disk utility, press that S.O.S function for both drives (the ipod and the drive with your iTunes library)

Good luck!

See you in 2028

I'm using an iPod « Video » 5th gen... with the click wheel!
1 tb Tarkan adaptor.
Awesome!

Rao Shaheryar

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
USA
Had this before, i usually eject the ipod resart the computer and try again. If this fails repetedly try a reformat, if this fails again contact apple see what they can do. Could be disk error, or your USb or firewire is faulty, Hopefully I understand your question and answered properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.