Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Hey guys, I just did software update on my PB today. I installed the new QT, iPod update and 10.4.4 (but I'm still with iTunes 4.9). I've been having some problems with Finder...

But anyway, the real probem is that when I hook up my iPod, I get a notification that there is new software for it, but it wont update, it says that only Mac formatted iPods can update. I formatted my iPod for my PC (which is my primary iTunes library). So my iPod isnt showing up in iTunes and the only other option its giving me is to restore it to factory settings... Has anyone had this problem and is there any advice?

Thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Cancel the update and it should still sync with the Mac, mine does. FWIW you cannot update a Windows-formatted iPod on a Mac and vice-versa, you can only do a full restore.

What are the problems with Finder? :)

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
NY
mad jew said:
Cancel the update and it should still work. FWIW you cannot update a Windows-formatted iPod on a Mac and vice-versa, you can only do a full restore.

What are the problems with Finder? :)
Finder is now 10.4.4 but its slowed down noticeably. It kinda keeps hanging, but its been doing that a lot this week ever since I started using my old 256 cruzer mini with my PB... Also, cmd + R isn't doing anything anymore in iTunes. Could be iTunes, but I think its Finder.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
For Finder, try repairing permissions in Disk Utility as a start although it's doubtful that'll help. Next up, open up Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder alongside Disk Utility) and see if there's a process using up lots of CPU or RAM. Also, tell us your page outs (from Activity Monitor) plus how long it's been since a reboot. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.