Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H/finn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
Hi all! A while ago, a friend dropped my (upgraded with Flash Memory) iPod Mini 2nd gen. Since then the iPod works but....the Bass frequencies are completely gone! It plays all right, but only the medium/high frequencies are audible (mostly high frequencies. But voices, for ex., sound faint and as if played in the background). Weird!! I used to prefer the Mini sq over my other legacy one, the 5.5gen video...But now....Is there anything I can do?
Thanks.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Hi all! A while ago, a friend dropped my (upgraded with Flash Memory) iPod Mini 2nd gen. Since then the iPod works but....the Bass frequencies are completely gone! It plays all right, but only the medium/high frequencies are audible (mostly high frequencies. But voices, for ex., sound faint and as if played in the background). Weird!! I used to prefer the Mini sq over my other legacy one, the 5.5gen video...But now....Is there anything I can do?
Thanks.
It could be a problem with the headphone output. I had some very strange experiences with some headphones which turned out to be a grounding short in the cable. The result was that all sounds that appeared in both stereo channels were being cancelled out. A test for this would be to take audio from the 30pin connector to a dock, or as an AUX output with a suitable cable.

Reactions: B S Magnet

H/finn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
Well, I say! You were 100% correct. No issues from the 30pin one! So, where does it leave me if I want to use it with the headphone out? And: THANKS!

Reactions: philden

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
I've never been inside a Mini, but I would guess that there is a ribbon cable connecting the headphone jack assembly to the main board. Perhaps you could open it up and re-seat the cable in the connector. Since it was dropped, you might want to check any other cables and the SD card too, as long as you have it open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.