Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RockySquirrel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
I am planning on replacing the Microdrive in an iPod Mini with a 16-Gb SanDisk SDCFB-16 Compact Flash Card. Yes, I know that an SD card is the way to go, but I have the CF card already and it appears that it will interface directly with the drive’s existing cable connector. I won’t be using this iPod for listening to music, but rather to play a two-hour long “crackling fire” mp3 as background sound for my electric fireplace. I have researched the instructions on several websites, but there is a discrepancy that needs clarification before proceeding.

On the Instructables.com site, in the “Ideally, you will need the following items” section, it implies that a 2nd generation iPod mini is needed. Whereas on the geektechnique.org site (now static) in the 4th comment, ‘Ted’ says it only works on a 1st generation.

Which is correct? Or is it maybe the case that: 1. Ted is misinformed; 2. the Instructables implied requirement is not excluding the 1st generation iPod mini, and that the conversion works with either generation? I have both generations of iPod mini’s, but I don’t want to head down the wrong path if I can avoid it. Any specific guidance based on actual experience would be appreciated.

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
I am planning on replacing the Microdrive in an iPod Mini with a 16-Gb SanDisk SDCFB-16 Compact Flash Card. Yes, I know that an SD card is the way to go, but I have the CF card already and it appears that it will interface directly with the drive’s existing cable connector. I won’t be using this iPod for listening to music, but rather to play a two-hour long “crackling fire” mp3 as background sound for my electric fireplace. I have researched the instructions on several websites, but there is a discrepancy that needs clarification before proceeding.

On the Instructables.com site, in the “Ideally, you will need the following items” section, it implies that a 2nd generation iPod mini is needed. Whereas on the geektechnique.org site (now static) in the 4th comment, ‘Ted’ says it only works on a 1st generation.

Which is correct? Or is it maybe the case that: 1. Ted is misinformed; 2. the Instructables implied requirement is not excluding the 1st generation iPod mini, and that the conversion works with either generation? I have both generations of iPod mini’s, but I don’t want to head down the wrong path if I can avoid it. Any specific guidance based on actual experience would be appreciated.
Hi,
I replaced the CF-card of my 2. gen iPod mini with a 64 GB SD card in an adaptor. It works fine.

Regards
Torsten

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Hi @RockySquirrel. I realize you posted this a long time ago at this point, but I did a bunch of research myself before upgrading my newly acquired gold 1st gen iPod mini. All the results online seemed to indicate that only 2nd gens could be upgraded. I used a generic CF to SD card adapter, and a 64 GB SD card, and it works just fine. Not sure why every place online talks about how only 2nd gen minis can be upgraded, but I decided to try it myself. :p

Best of luck if you are still trying this!

IMG_8023.jpeg IMG_8098.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.