Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Im not sure if there is an official name for this, but my car recognizes a connected iPhone as an iPod for audio purposes. This feature still works on the 15P when I plug a USB-C to USB-A cable into the port. I figured if they were going to drop compatibility for that feature, it would be now. Pleasantly surprised.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Always nice to see compatibility like this is respected in later revisions of iOS / iPhone.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
This doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe its the specific cable I'm using? Any ideas?
Try another cable. It should work with any USB-C cable though, because even the non data cables run at USB 2.0 speeds which is what lightning was anyways. I completely replaced the cable, USB A to USB C, no adapters.

stephe22

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
Toronto
Finally figured it out. iPod mode seems to depend on having at least one downloaded song in Apple Music. Once I did this I was able to stream Spotify and Tidal tracks as well. Strange.

Reactions: kerr

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I figured if they were going to drop compatibility for that feature, it would be now. Pleasantly surprised.
Why would they though? Apple never said they were dropping this feature and the feature had nothing to do with Lightning. It has to do with the iPod legacy (which was what the Music app was called over a decade ago).

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Why would they though? Apple never said they were dropping this feature and the feature had nothing to do with Lightning. It has to do with the iPod legacy (which was what the Music app was called over a decade ago).
When they replaced the lighting port they also replaced the circuit board that drove it as well as drivers. It would be the second time they would have any reason to consider dropping it to keep the code base lean, since lightning has not changed on iPhone since the first one to have it… not even speed. The first would indeed be music —> apple music, however that would have been less than 5 years after the last cars to support this mode. Now it has been more like 10.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Finally figured it out. iPod mode seems to depend on having at least one downloaded song in Apple Music. Once I did this I was able to stream Spotify and Tidal tracks as well. Strange.
Yes, this is true. My Spotify using friend keeps one song downloaded on his phone just for when he rides in my car. It will work with nearly every audio outputting app as long as you have one song.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
When they replaced the lighting port they also replaced the circuit board that drove it as well as drivers.
iPod Mode or USB Playback has nothing to do with the port or the circuit board. It’s simply a mode supported by the iPhone, just like CarPlay, which has nothing to do with lightning.

Lunazoul

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2023
My 2013 Nissan Rogue only supports iPods and all my previous lightning port iPhones never had any issues being recognized as an iPod by my car, I cant seem to get my iPhone 15PM to be recognized no matter what cables I use even with songs downloaded in the Apple Music and playing when connecting to the car. I guess it depends on the car.

I tried all sorts of USB A to C cables, the USB C to C cable that came with the phone with an A to C adapter, and also USB A to Lightning then the Lightning to C adapter from Apple (only combination to get the phone to charge)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.