Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Umpteenthian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2020
The connection between my iPod Nano 1st Gen and iTunes on my iMac was cutting in and out. The cable worked fine with my other iPod and iPhone. Restarting the iPod (holding menu and home buttons) hasn't helped. While it was being recognised by iTunes I attempted a factory restore but, following the removal of the iPod's software during the restore, the iPod is now invisible to iTunes and unrecognised in Finder.

Is there anywhere I can find replacement software, which, I'm guessing, is no longer available from Apple, otherwise it would have been installed as part of the factory reset process? The iPod still appears to function normally on its own; it just is not recognised by the Mac/iTunes.

All suggestions gratefully received; thank you!

(iPod Nano 1st Gen Version 1.3.1, Model MA004FB, 2GB / iMac (2006) 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (OS 10.7.5) with iTunes v12.2.2.25.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I believe the Nano supports Disk Mode. which to activate you hold Center and Menu until the screen goes black, then you need to hold Center and play/pause buttons until it shows the disk mode screen.

iPod_14.1.3.1.ipsw
Here's a link to the latest firmware for the first-gem Nano straight from Apple. Once the iPod is is Disk Mode, you should be able to click Restore while holding the Option key, and it will let you browse for the IPSW you just downloaded.

Umpteenthian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2020
Thanks for your reply, retta283. Your suggestion works up to a point. I've put the software in my Downloads folder and put the iPod in Disk Mode, according to your instructions. However, while the iPod screen displays Disk Mode at the top, there's only a tick and 'OK to disconnect' below. ITunes is still not recognising the iPod and therefore is not offering the option to Restore. Is there anything else I need to do?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
If it says OK to disconnect, the Nano probably doesn't know that it's connected to iTunes. I know you said your cable works with other devices, but trying another may help. If this fails, I would consider restarting the Nano and trying Disk Mode again. I believe the iPod has to be connected to the computer when it enters Disk Mode for it to register properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.