Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I have an iPod Nano (7th gen) and a Macbook Pro. When I upgraded the Macbook Pro to Catalina the Apple Music app didn't work with the iPod Nano. It's been a few months but I think I recall that I couldn't create playlists in Apple Music that would appear in the iPod Nano. After that I downgraded the Mac back to Mojave V 10.14.6 just so I could use iTunes.

Problem now is that I think Apple has abandoned iTunes and I'm noticing a few of the podcasts I'm subscribed to are no longer updating. (There's a little exclamation mark next to the podcast that when clicked says: "There was a problem downloading..." and "The URL "podcast URL" could not be found on the server.")

I tried refreshing those podcasts and unsubscribing and then resubscribing and neither worked. I also tried deleting them and then resubscribing and that didn't work.

I might have to abandon the iPod Nano, but before I do...

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS, PLEASE:

1) Anyone figured out how to make playlists within Apple Music that will appear on a Nano?

2) Has anyone figured out how to make iTunes work with Catalina?

3) If I have to abandon the Nano then any suggestions for a small MP3 player similar to a gen 6 or 7 Nano with a touch screen and that works great with iTunes on a Mac with Mojave and/or Apple Music with Catalina? I must be able to have playlists on the MP3 player.

Thanks!?

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Started having syncing issues with Apple Music on 10.15.5 and installed iTunes via Retroactive and it has been fine since. You're not going to be able to just use the same library though. You also need to make sure you open/have iTunes automatically open when you connect the iPod, because then there's a conflict with Finder trying to work with it at the same time.

I have no idea why your podcasts aren't working though. Apple doesn't host them themselves.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
You can't use Apple Music with any non-touch iPods, they don't support the level of DRM required (internet connectivity). I have no issue using Podcasts on iTunes on Mojave, is it possible that those podcasts have been removed?

Reactions: Lancetx

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
You can't use Apple Music with any non-touch iPods, they don't support the level of DRM required (internet connectivity). I have no issue using Podcasts on iTunes on Mojave, is it possible that those podcasts have been removed?

And by "touch iPod" do you mean that it has a touch screen? I'm asking because my iPod Nano gen 7 has a touch screen. Or do you mean Apple Music only works with the iPod Touch?

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Started having syncing issues with Apple Music on 10.15.5 and installed iTunes via Retroactive and it has been fine since. You're not going to be able to just use the same library though. You also need to make sure you open/have iTunes automatically open when you connect the iPod, because then there's a conflict with Finder trying to work with it at the same time.

I have no idea why your podcasts aren't working though. Apple doesn't host them themselves.

Are you saying that you installed iTunes on CATALINA by using Retroactive?

Does Apple Music make a totally separate Library than iTunes?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Apple Music is the streaming service, and the iTunes app is now just called Music. I assumed you were referring to the app to begin with, but yeah, if anyone comes to this thread later looking to put tracks from the service on their shuffle/nano/classic, it isn't possible without Apple pushing out an update (which they won't do at this point because the iPod team was moved over to the Apple Watch). You need an iOS based device.

Are you saying that you installed iTunes on CATALINA by using Retroactive?

Does Apple Music make a totally separate Library than iTunes?
Yes.

And yeah, when you install iTunes again, it's going to make an iTunes folder and make a new library for it. You could move/upgrade that library to the Music app, but you couldn't take a library made in Music and downgrade that for iTunes as is.

tedl49

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
Bromley
Hi, I have just upgraded my Mac Book Pro 2012 to Catalina and my iPod Nano now won't connect which is a nuisance however i have Big Sur installed on a 15 inch Mac Book Pro and when i plugged my Nano into that it worked fine, I could see all the music and playlists but obviously i don't have any of my music on that laptop. i pressed the sync settings on the Big Sur but it still didn't work on Catalina, just get the revolving cog that eventually says "Cant find device"

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I have an iPod Nano (7th gen) and a Macbook Pro. When I upgraded the Macbook Pro to Catalina the Apple Music app didn't work with the iPod Nano. It's been a few months but I think I recall that I couldn't create playlists in Apple Music that would appear in the iPod Nano. After that I downgraded the Mac back to Mojave V 10.14.6 just so I could use iTunes.

Problem now is that I think Apple has abandoned iTunes and I'm noticing a few of the podcasts I'm subscribed to are no longer updating. (There's a little exclamation mark next to the podcast that when clicked says: "There was a problem downloading..." and "The URL "podcast URL" could not be found on the server.")

I tried refreshing those podcasts and unsubscribing and then resubscribing and neither worked. I also tried deleting them and then resubscribing and that didn't work.

I might have to abandon the iPod Nano, but before I do...

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS, PLEASE:

1) Anyone figured out how to make playlists within Apple Music that will appear on a Nano?

2) Has anyone figured out how to make iTunes work with Catalina?

3) If I have to abandon the Nano then any suggestions for a small MP3 player similar to a gen 6 or 7 Nano with a touch screen and that works great with iTunes on a Mac with Mojave and/or Apple Music with Catalina? I must be able to have playlists on the MP3 player.

Thanks!?
I am currently running Big Sur and using the Music APP I was able to drag and drop playlists from my Music Library to my iPod Nano 7 sorry I don't listen to podcasts so couldn't test that feature for you. Your Nano should appear in MACOS Finder, if it does than you should see it as a device under the Music APP and then be able to sync your music and podcasts as before with iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.