Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Broke out my legacy iPod Nano (7th Gen) and would like to add some music to it before I send it to someone.
I have 50gb of music on my Google Drive.
Is there a method that can be used to add this to the iPad?
I have a Retina MacBook (2015) running the latest MacOs (Finder, no iTunes) and a Thinkpad running Windows 10.

Any help is appreciated.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
If you actually own the music in your Google Drive, you should be able to download it as files and sync it to the iPod. You should be able to sync fine using the MacBook, if something goes wrong you can get iTunes on Windows still, which will almost certainly work.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
If you actually own the music in your Google Drive, you should be able to download it as files and sync it to the iPod. You should be able to sync fine using the MacBook, if something goes wrong you can get iTunes on Windows still, which will almost certainly work.

I own it. It is in album format with appropriate art.
Problem I am having in my MB is adding it to a location that Finder can see to allow adding to my iPod.
I am at the point of adding an older version of iTunes to my Thinkpad.

Thx

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
You should be able to add the files into Music and then sync from the Finder to the iPod. If you don't want to keep the tracks in Music after syncing it, just delete the tracks from Music after removing the iPod from the computer.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
You should be able to add the files into Music and then sync from the Finder to the iPod. If you don't want to keep the tracks in Music after syncing it, just delete the tracks from Music after removing the iPod from the computer.

Tried that but for some reason my MB gives me the message that the file type is not compatible.
Will give it another try before I ad iTunes to my Thinkpad.
Thx

Sreenath

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
I love music. I want to buy this but I have no idea about the iPod. please share your experiences here thank you

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I love music. I want to buy this but I have no idea about the iPod. please share your experiences here thank you

Update:
Was unable to add the music from my Google Drive to the Music Library on my MB. The MB kept insisting that the music was in an incorrect format. mp3 at 128k and 256k is the format. Plays fine on Google Music.
What I ended up doing:
Installed iTunes on my Thinkpad (Win10), did a local image of Google drive on my external HDD and added the music to iTunes from there. Had an issue with a few albums/sogs. Mostly albums/songs I purchased via Japan and the EU. German rock and Japan pop. Plugged in the iPod Nano and was able to load the music I wanted with no issue from iTunes. Warning, the load speed was a bit slow but chugged along.

Doing a similar thing this weekend to a iPod Touch Gen7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.