Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joptimus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm a bit at a loss here. My wife has an old iPod nano (6th gen?). I cannot figure out how to get the music files to our Macs. We don't know if all of it was purchased via iTunes or came from different sources. I just want to get the files. Seems impossible so far. Apple Music app or Finder allow for syncing, but that is the wrong direction - it would erase the iPod.

Help, please!

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm a bit at a loss here. My wife has an old iPod nano (6th gen?). I cannot figure out how to get the music files to our Macs. We don't know if all of it was purchased via iTunes or came from different sources. I just want to get the files. Seems impossible so far. Apple Music app or Finder allow for syncing, but that is the wrong direction - it would erase the iPod.

Help, please!
There are several ways of copying music from an iPod. If you connect you iPod and enable hidden folders, you will see the iPod_Control directory. The method to 'Enable hidden folders' may depend on your OS version, but it is probably 'shift+command+.' Inside 'iPod_Control' you will find your music. The folders and filenames are randomised, just copy them to your computer. Then you can resort the music and identify the tracks by dropping them into a new or an existing iTunes or Music library.

Alternatively you can use DeTunes or a similar package to identify and copy the music from your iPod.

joptimus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
Thanks!
Unfortunately, Detune is no longer compatible with the latest MacOS and there seems to be no way to access the Nano like a drive in Finder.

Do you know of an alternative (free?) software to do this?

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I don't have a 6th Gen Nano, but just tested a 7th Gen classic with the latest MacOS. That appears in the Finder OK for manual access and iMazing works also. You may not see the iPod on the desktop or Finder sidebar unless your preferences are set to do so.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
The problem is that you can not reverse sync from your iPod or iPhone back to your Mac using the Finder or iTunes. It takes third party software to do the job. There may be a free app to do it but off hand I don't know of any. iMazing works but it's not free although it can be found on sale sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.