Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigglyjon

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
virividox said:
hmm it looks really slick but i still dont like the idea of a ipod movie player, unless the screen gets larger i wouldnt wanna watch it. :D

also, you dont watch movies and clips the same way you listen to music...music accompanies anything else and doesnt require two senses, while you need to WATCH and LISTEN to a movie and you cant do that just walkin around campus :)

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
nice movie though. my view is that an ipod should stick to what it does best - being a music player. if they tried adding loads of fancy features it wouldnt be a music player then. i would rather see a really good music player like we have now than some thing that can do like 12 different things but none really well.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
russed said:
my view is that an ipod should stick to what it does best - being a music player..

but how do you know thats what it does best, it hasn't done anything else, so you have no point of reference

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
revenuee said:
but how do you know thats what it does best, it hasn't done anything else, so you have no point of reference

well the ipod is advertised as being a portable music player, so logically, that is what i would regard it as dong best. lets look at discounting a few things it doesnt do best - does it do the washing - i think not as it doesnt have a water source. does it do my homework for me - i think not as it doesnt have a brain. does it play videos - no because it doesnt have a screen capable and it doesnt have all the capable internal things. so lets summarise, as the ipod hasnt done anything else, it therefore cant be better at doing these other things.

an ipod that was able to play videos, do the washing etc wouldnt be an ipod, it would be something different. anyway why would you want a hand held device with a 2 inch screen that you could watch a movie on? i certainally dont go anywhere where i have time to watch a filmor when i would want to. if i tried watching a film in a car i would probably feel sick. the battery life would be rubbish and probably wouldnt last the entire life of a film. so to get over this, you would have to plug it into a large substancial screen, worthy of watching a film on and then this devise would be like one of those portable dvd players that sony and other makers produce but with one differnce, it would just have a hard drive instead of a dvd. so in turning the ipod into such a product as you would, it would now be a music player with added capabilities, neither of which it would do particuarly well. so lets see the ipod stay as a music player.

---END OF RANT---

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
That would be cool. Having a pair of movie sunglasses that knew where your eye was looking is... awesome. How easy is it to watch a movie that is so close to you is... debatable, however.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
imagine that...
the video was awesome...it would have been cool if when they change to next scene and turned around that crazy jack was standing back at the typewriter... imagine if thats how we eventually watched movies...was by walking around the characters to kinda "live" the movie...crazy!!!

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
russed said:
well the ipod is advertised as being a portable music player, so logically, that is what i would regard it as dong best. lets look at discounting a few things it doesnt do best - does it do the washing - i think not as it doesnt have a water source. does it do my homework for me - i think not as it doesnt have a brain. does it play videos - no because it doesnt have a screen capable and it doesnt have all the capable internal things. so lets summarise, as the ipod hasnt done anything else, it therefore cant be better at doing these other things.

---END OF RANT---

--- BEGIN NEW RANT ----
but we don't know if it's been tried yet with an iPod

The first computer was used as a counting machine -- thats what it did best ... that didn't stop them from making it into more ... if people thought like you, then we would never have anything cooler or better because people would just stop at the one thing it did, and never tried to see if it could do anything better.

---- END OF RANT ------ :D :rolleyes:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I'm not sure having a movie that close to your eyes is a good idea. Movie goggles (non-interactive) are already made - and aren't all that safe.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
wow, that was impressive. Someone took a lot of time to recreate the hall in 3D and with excellent detail :D

Cool idea, although the navigation is not exactly the best. There didn't seem to be any order to it.

Still, slick :D

D

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
cool movie... in fact, VERY slick, indeed...

(i assume they couldn't show "jack" because they would have had to pay if they went that far.)

that said, it won't really be an "iPod." it will have to be a different machine for a different market.

i think the point that's been proven over and over in the market is that "audio is not poor man's video." portable music players have always been popular (transistor radio, walkman, discman and now iPod) compared to anything video. (portable TV, portable DVD player...)

if done correctly, i believe there will be a market for portable video players in the future - but it will take something more innovative than just adding video features to an audio player... obviously, if i knew how to do that, i'd be doing it myself. but since i'm not very innovative, i'll leave that part up to apple to surprise us... perhaps with the gen 4 "iPod"? ;) :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.