Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bravo2zero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Sheffield
Bought a sharp old top end radio for work to use a Bluetooth adapter dongle on the 30 pin however the dock doesn’t power it. I tried a last gen nano that also will only power for a split second however a 1st gen nano works perfectly.

I remember back in the day didn’t Apple fiddle with the 30pins which left some docks useless ? If this is the case is there an adapter to resolve this issue ?

Pt2

Same radio due to above issue I resorted in using iPhone 14 pro max with an Apple 3.5 to lightning and a set of phono cables in AUX mode to hear some tunes. The audio is that low it’s not audible at all. The volumes up full and phone is on full but it’s whisper silent but it’s not the radio (tested on other audio kit) it’s an iPhone issue. Is there something I’m missing , I’ve turned off the hearing protection etc.. related to headphones but no good , is there something I can put in the phone so it knows it’s in an audio amplifier not headphones.

I’m using Apple Music for audio.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Sounds like the 30pin connector needs FireWire for power - that’s why the newer Nano / adapter don’t work.
As for the aux input, not sure about what to do there.

Reactions: Bravo2zero

Bravo2zero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Sheffield
Sounds like the 30pin connector needs FireWire for power - that’s why the newer Nano / adapter don’t work.
As for the aux input, not sure about what to do there.
So pretty much can only run very old gen iPods then, thought radio was broke as worked at home with the 1st gen but at work with last gen nano was dead as a dodo. Would a 30 to 8 pin adapter work to run the iPhone or does that need FireWire too ?

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
So pretty much can only run very old gen iPods then, thought radio was broke as worked at home with the 1st gen but at work with last gen nano was dead as a dodo. Would a 30 to 8 pin adapter work to run the iPhone or does that need FireWire too ?

It will probably pass through audio, but not power. Unfortunately I have limited experience with FireWire 30-pin connections as my oldest iPod is a 5.5 gen, and my oldest 30-pin connection is a 2011 BMW - and I believe FireWire accessories went away circa 2004. From what I recall, the power pinouts changed, but audio pinouts stayed the same. Worth a shot…

Reactions: Bravo2zero

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
It will probably pass through audio, but not power. Unfortunately I have limited experience with FireWire 30-pin connections as my oldest iPod is a 5.5 gen, and my oldest 30-pin connection is a 2011 BMW - and I believe FireWire accessories went away circa 2004. From what I recall, the power pinouts changed, but audio pinouts stayed the same. Worth a shot…
I think the third generation nano was the last to support charging via the Firewire pins.

Bravo2zero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Sheffield
Might just grab an adapter , only like £2 on eBay so no real loss if things don’t work. I did in the end find an online manual and yeah it only supports early iPods but all classic ones as they didn’t change pins on them from what it says.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.