Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2016
Hi everyone!

I'm still using my original owner iPod Shuffle 1st gen from 2006 and the damn thing still has good battery life and on it's original battery! I sync this with Mac OS Monterey on a 2015 MacBook and listen to shows in my car to and from work using the headphone jack into my car stereo.

BEST PURCHASE EVER!

What the hell, did they use uranium for batteries in this thing? How the hell can a tiny rechargeable battery from 2006 STILL be working 16 years later this well.

Unbelievable.

And some people claim that Apple products are too expensive. This seems pretty cheap to me.

Anyone else still using one of these?

:)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I tested my iPod Photo and iPod Video the other day for a friend to use, both still worked and they each got about three hours of battery life with their volume set to 100%.

I still use Big Sur, but each was able to sync music as well.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Mine still works great. Use it every once in a while for a nostalgia hit.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I got another one recently after years of waiting to find a cheap replacement for my first ever iPod, a 1st gen iPod shuffle which had headphone jack issues and the port came unglued, but both still hold a charge even after sitting unused for months at a time. It really is crazy!

I don't use the newer one much though because of a play count bug I have encountered and can't find a fix for yet. If you have any ideas or have encountered this same issue please reply to that post!

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
Hi everyone!

I'm still using my original owner iPod Shuffle 1st gen from 2006 and the damn thing still has good battery life and on it's original battery! I sync this with Mac OS Monterey on a 2015 MacBook and listen to shows in my car to and from work using the headphone jack into my car stereo.

BEST PURCHASE EVER!

What the hell, did they use uranium for batteries in this thing? How the hell can a tiny rechargeable battery from 2006 STILL be working 16 years later this well.

Unbelievable.

And some people claim that Apple products are too expensive. This seems pretty cheap to me.

Anyone else still using one of these?

Not using one of those but my power-hungry 2004 PowerBook G4 is still on original battery and lasts for 3 whole hours before dying.

Reactions: Slix

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2016
Not using one of those but my power-hungry 2004 PowerBook G4 is still on original battery and lasts for 3 whole hours before dying.
Good call on the PowerBook G4. I also have a 1.67Ghz 17" Powerbook G4 and recently found a used apple original battery to replace my missing one. Shockingly it ran for over an hour on the battery playing Pandora and was still running when i had to shut it down to do something else. I need to run the battery through a few full charges/discharges and then give it a test to see how long it will run.

Awesome on yours still going that long!

• Love
Reactions: Slix and PowerPCFan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.