Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I can't sync anymore with my iPod shuffle. The only songs iTunes can find are the few recently purchased songs I have. My entire iTunes collection is on a NAS and iTunes on my iMac sees it just fine, but iTunes now refuses to sync the music. It's incredibly irritating.

Sometimes it gives a message that none of the songs can be copied, and sometimes it says that I need to convert all the higher bitrate songs to 128 Kbps AAC.

What gives? Syncing works fine with my iPhone 7 Plus.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Hmm... Interesting.

I tried restoring the firmware. No dice. Same problem. However, after powering off and on the iPod a few times, I can do some syncs now. if I do an autofill now from one of my larger playlists, it will sync. It won't sync if I autofill from my entire music database though.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Hmm... Interesting.

I tried restoring the firmware. No dice. Same problem. However, after powering off and on the iPod a few times, I can do some syncs now. if I do an autofill now from one of my larger playlists, it will sync. It won't sync if I autofill from my entire music database though.
Have you tried using the iPod shuffle reset utility app? If you don't have it, you can still download it from Apple's site: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl99?locale=en_US

It is a 32-bit app, if that matters. I used this on my 2nd gen shuffle back during the spring when it was having issues, and it's running great now.

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Have you tried using the iPod shuffle reset utility app? If you don't have it, you can still download it from Apple's site: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl99?locale=en_US

It is a 32-bit app, if that matters. I used this on my 2nd gen shuffle back during the spring when it was having issues, and it's running great now.
Great thx. I wasn’t aware of that utility. I’m going to be on Mojave for a while on my main machine and I have old machines too so 32-bit is OK.

Reactions: retta283
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.