Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjeles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Norway
None of my three iMacs (3-4 years old, all running on OS 10.3.8) recognize iPod Shuffles (works fine on my PowerBook G4, though). What might the problem be with the iMacs?

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Have you updated iTunes? needs to be 4.7.1. I forgot to update iTunes when I got my shuffle and was cursing it for 10 minutes until I realised what I'd done. Run the cd that came with the shuffle and install iTunes and the iPod updater (22/01/05?) and then it should work. Hope it works

kjeles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Norway
Even with iTunes 4.7.1

Thanks for reply. In fact, I do have the latest iTunes (4.7.1) and iPod Updater on all machines. But still, no reaction.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Perhaps the USB plug isn't sitting properly within the USB socket.

Does System Profiler 'see' the iPod within the USB section?

BTW: This is from Apple's website.
"Note: Some computers require either the optional iPod shuffle Dock or a USB cable extender (sold separately)."

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Blue Velvet said:
Perhaps the USB plug isn't sitting properly within the USB socket.

Does System Profiler 'see' the iPod within the USB section?

BTW: This is from Apple's website.
"Note: Some computers require either the optional iPod shuffle Dock or a USB cable extender (sold separately)."

I think that only applies to computers where the socket is a bit too far back like with the emacs I think.

kjeles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Norway
Thanks Blue Velvet, a USB extension cable did the trick. It seemed like the iPod fit right into the socket of the iMac, but apparently it did not connect properly. The USB plug of the iPod is indeed about a millimeter shorter than others. Thanks again for the idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.