Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
I tried to use my shuffle for the first time as a flash drive to transfer a file from my computer to my wifes. When I plugged it in to my wife's iMac, iTunes on that computer launched right away and started updating my Shuffle (completely different music library, etc...).

When I plugged it back into my computer, my iTunes started updating the Shuffle again, showing that some of my music had been wiped out...

How useful is a flash drive that gets corrupted when you move it from one computer to another?

Something I could have done to avoid this?

ObsidianIce

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Seventh Circle of Hell
plutnicki said:
I tried to use my shuffle for the first time as a flash drive to transfer a file from my computer to my wifes. When I plugged it in to my wife's iMac, iTunes on that computer launched right away and started updating my Shuffle (completely different music library, etc...).

When I plugged it back into my computer, my iTunes started updating the Shuffle again, showing that some of my music had been wiped out...

How useful is a flash drive that gets corrupted when you move it from one computer to another?

Something I could have done to avoid this?

I doubt it corrupted. The shuffle links to whatever computer it's plugged into. So when you plugged it into you're wifes cpu it essentially erases and refills it with songs from her cpu ( depends on what options you have selected though), and when you trade back to yours it does the same thing again...basically it does that so you can't copy songs from one machine to another ( when they are loaded as music and not data).

Obsidian

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
It is not corrupted - think of it as 2 different devices a flash drive and a shuffle - the shuffle is being updated in the space allocated for the music. It is not doing anything to the storage space you specified. Do like the above post suggests - turn off the auto update. iTunes may launch, but then go to your explorer and you will see the flash drive - you should be able to see and transfer the data from there to the other PC.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Apple's contention is likely to be that the flash drive capability is for data rather than music (tho turning off the auto update will work!)

If you use the iPod tab in iTunes preferences to set the proportion of the Shuffle to use for songs/data, that section won't be overwritten by music and the files will stay intact when moved between computers.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Heh

I think I misspoke, the corruption I meant was not the data portion of the shuffle, but the music portion of the shuffle. I couldn't understand why iTunes just started filling the shuffle.

When I did something similar with one of my older iPods, a message box came up when iTunes launched asking me if I wanted my iPod to be associated with this computer (i.e. do you really want to fill the iPod from this computer). I answered no and was just able to use the disk stuff to move files.

That didn't happen with the shuffle, the iTunes on my wife's computer appears to have merrily started to fill it. I will turn off autoupdate in the future, but you can't do that without an iPod plugged in (catch-22?).

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
plutnicki said:
I will turn off autoupdate in the future, but you can't do that without an iPod plugged in (catch-22?).

I think this setting is saved on the ipod itself and not on the machine.

Sampson

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2005
When I insert the iPod Shuffle into my pc, iTunes instantly starts and I can add music to my Shuffle. *thumbs up*

But for some reason I cannot access it as a storage drive via my computer *thumbs down*... anyone know why?

Sampson

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2005
Should have done a lil' investigating before posting....

Thx for coming up on google search though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.