Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big_boldge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
UK
Just a quick question, I need to buy a memory stick, for tranfers of work from my iMac at home to a Windows Dell at school, but I was wondering, to get a shuffle and use it as a memory stick as well as mp3 player. However can the shuffle transfer documents of Mac based data, eg Pages to a Windows computer? I know you can use it as a memory stick but is that just for Apple to Apple transfers or Windows to Windows, depending upon its settings?
Also another quick question as it's been bothering me alot recently, what does the "i" in iMac, and iPod stand for as well as teh "e" in eMac? Thanks

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
the shuffle can work as a usb thumb drive on mac and windows systems. in itunes, you need to designate how much space will be allocated for music, and how much for memory usage as a thumb drive (i.e., enable disk mode). i have a 1gb shuffle, and split it evenly to have 512mb for music and 512 for data. a windows machine may or may not need additional drivers to recognize the shuffle as a thumb drive, but other than that, you shouldn't encounter any issues. you can transfer any type of data you want - the only issue willl be whether or not the windows machine can open the mac documents. if the pages document is saved as a ".doc" item, the windows machine should have no problem. just make sure that the pc has the right software to open the mac document you want to transfer.

here's some info straight from the apple support site:

Can I transfer data to iPod shuffle from multiple computers when in disk mode?
Yes. If you put iPod shuffle in disk mode, you can transfer data from multiple computers from the Finder (Mac) or Explorer (Windows). You can only load music from one computer, using iTunes.

Can I use iPod shuffle with both a Macintosh and a Windows computer?
Yes. When you place iPod shuffle in disk mode, you can use it to transfer data between multiple computers, running either operating system.

go here for more info: http://www.apple.com/support/ipodshuffle/

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
I don't think that a mac formatted shuffle would be able to transfer data to a windows computer. I've done it the once and found this to be the case.
edit > I stand corrected and educated. Ignore what i said!

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
Yes. The Shuffle will indeed work as a jump drive between Windows and Mac boxes.

I have a Mac at work, and a pc at home. I work as a PR writer, so I regularly use my 1 gig Shuffle to bridge the two computers: Word docs, Entourage/Outlook e-mail archives, etc. Never had a problem.

big_boldge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
UK
Ok cheers guys for that, so is it worth it for being a memory stick and a iPod?
So what does the "i" in imac and iPod stand for and the "e" in eMac???

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Explanation...

big_boldge said:

The shuffle is EXCELLENT as a dual use gadget.

The "i" in iMac originally stood for internet...the first iMacs were touted as the simplest, quickest way to get online.
The "e" is for education, as the eMacs were originally only available to schools but consumer interest convinced Apple to offer them to everyone.

The "i" doesn't really stand for internet anymore, it's simply what Apple uses to differentiate their consumer and professional lines.

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
big_boldge said:

i = inspissated

e= enantiomorphic

hence the inspissated pod, or the enanthemated mac
11-3-9.jpg

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
My little 1gb shuffle works great as a key and as a place for music. I store my important documents, my software keys, a copy of my encryption/decryption software for my keys, and I still have room for music and audio books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.