Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maoltuile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
So I bought not one but two iPod shuffles in turn recently in order to reuse old accessories (AA pack, etc.). Both failed the restore on first use in iTunes and have refused to reset or accept updates since, with the below error:

The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1406).

I've tried this on both Mojave and Catalina, same result.

The best I can think of is that the Mac mini 2012 had a reputation for funky stuff as regards its USB3 ports, and maybe this has caused the problems...? If someone can help out here, I'd be very grateful. Nothing has worked (including the hardware reset on the shuffles).

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
If you have a Windows 7 or older or Mac that can run 32-bit apps try the iPod shuffle reset utility app that Apple releases, it is able to fix a lot of errors that iTunes is unable to.

Reactions: Maoltuile

Maoltuile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
I fina
If you have a Windows 7 or older or Mac that can run 32-bit apps try the iPod shuffle reset utility app that Apple releases, it is able to fix a lot of errors that iTunes is unable to.
So l finally found a Yosemite install to boot off and tried this: works perfectly, and thank you so much

Reactions: retta283

adiaditya

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
n
Sure - it’s the shuffle reset utility, as noted above. Solved the problem completely!
my ipod is not holding any charge its blinkin red continously when connected to my mac but as i remove it , it gets totally blank not showing any lights even after pressing all buttons.
do you know whats the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.