Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Downloaded it last night.

Did the battery meter change a bit? It looks like the segments no longer exist, and it's simply a solid block that shrinks (within the little battery icon).

Any other changes?

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Yep, you are right.
the battery icon changed.
Somthing else has changed as well.
it won't play certain songs anymore..sometimes it just starts playing by itself, battery life is nowhere near that of what it was and it crashes sometimes.
all in all. my ipod is screwed with this update.
is there a way to get back to the last update?

I looked on the net and there are more users that have major problems with this update......
grrrrrr

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
Yep, you are right.
the battery icon changed.
Somthing else has changed as well.
it won't play certain songs anymore..sometimes it just starts playing by itself, battery life is nowhere near that of what it was and it crashes sometimes.
all in all. my ipod is screwed with this update.
is there a way to get back to the last update?

I looked on the net and there are more users that have major problems with this update......
grrrrrr

Uhoh. The better looking battery icon isn't worth that. Ihaven't had any problems . . . yet.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Uhoh. The better looking battery icon isn't worth that. Ihaven't had any problems . . . yet.

I've had a slight flickering of the display that wasn't there before since upgrading mine to 2.1. It's nothing that keeps it from working or anything, but it is somewhat annoying.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Lancetx
I've had a slight flickering of the display that wasn't there before since upgrading mine to 2.1. It's nothing that keeps it from working or anything, but it is somewhat annoying.

Ah yeah. I forgot about that 1.
The contrast changes when I shut it down sometimes.
And when I have docked it and unmounted it via itunes. it keeps saying do not disconnect...
Im sure there is more.....

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
No problems on my end (10 gig 3G) however, I have noticed the battery life is funny. it does seem to last as long, however, the battery never reads as FULL.

I've had contrast issues in past iPod SW, but this one seems rock solid, and works fine (except the battery issue)

infact, a lot of the original clicking and noise issue is gone with this update, and who doesn't love the new game?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I'm sure the new game zaps the battery life real good, all the hard drive spinning and seaking.

There is no way to downgrade that I can find... I tried doing a restore w/ 2.01, and it just freezes... blah... fix it fast Apple... my iPod sucks in the meantime.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
This is an old thread, but it just goes to show that Apple hasn't gotten off their asses in the past 3 months to release a fixed version of their buggy firmware.

The point of this post is that I figured out how to downgrade the firmware back to 2.01 if it freezes. First I tried the 2.01 restore on a different mac, and it still froze. So I tried it on a PC via the USB cable and sure enough it was able to do a full restore, back to 2.01. I then did another restore on my mac to format the hard drive back to HFS, and I am now good to go. The screen flicker has gone away, the battery no longer charges when its full, and I get 3 more hours of battery life now. This is a rare case when a PC was better than a mac... and for Apple's own hardware. I am very unhappy with the delay in support for their firmware problems. It really makes me not to ever want to buy an iPod again in the future with this level of support. I just hope that using 2.1 for so long with the constant battery recharges hasn't shortened the life of my battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.