Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cactusjack901

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Hey, so, my friend lent me his iPod Touch 1g to jailbreak it. I used the spirit jailbreak, and at the aurora screen on the iPod, it locked up, unresponsive to any and all button presses to try to reboot into DFU mode. So I let the battery run down, figuring it'll either reboot, or reboot into recovery mode when I plug it in. Nope, just says dead battery, charges a bit, then goes to the apple logo, and stays there, I can't reboot it and get into DFU, I can't hold the home button while charging and get it into DFU. I can't get it into DFU no matter what I do, nor can I get it into Recovery Mode. I can't do anything.

I've never heard of this happening, nor have I seen this happen, and I'm all out of ideas. Anybody have any ideas?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Hey, so, my friend lent me his iPod Touch 1g to jailbreak it. I used the spirit jailbreak, and at the aurora screen on the iPod, it locked up, unresponsive to any and all button presses to try to reboot into DFU mode. So I let the battery run down, figuring it'll either reboot, or reboot into recovery mode when I plug it in. Nope, just says dead battery, charges a bit, then goes to the apple logo, and stays there, I can't reboot it and get into DFU, I can't hold the home button while charging and get it into DFU. I can't get it into DFU no matter what I do, nor can I get it into Recovery Mode. I can't do anything.

I've never heard of this happening, nor have I seen this happen, and I'm all out of ideas. Anybody have any ideas?

At the Apple logo have you tried holding both home and power until the device restarts and goes into DFU?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you do get it working again, I would suggest you use Redsn0w or PwnageTool. Because it's a iPT G1 it doesn't have the SHSH problems that the new devices have. The Spirit way of jailbreaking is kind of unstable and it is can easily be patched by Apple.

cactusjack901

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
It isn't supposed to be possible anymore I thought, so I don't know what to tell you.

That's why I'm freaking out about this. The wiki here even says it's not possible, but yet here I am. I'm completely out of ideas, and this guy is going to be pissed at me.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
whatever you do, don't call Apple. They hate when they're products are jailbroken haha

They didnt seem to care when I did it :). I told them it was at the same situation you're in. They told me that they don't support jailbreaking, but still told me how to put my iPod touch 1G into recovery mode. So I did and I just left it stock, until 2 days ago ;)

Swamp Eagle

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Instruction for recovery...

They didnt seem to care when I did it :). I told them it was at the same situation you're in. They told me that they don't support jailbreaking, but still told me how to put my iPod touch 1G into recovery mode. So I did and I just left it stock, until 2 days ago ;)

Thanks for helping the dude out, loser. That's what this forum is for.

Plug your usb into your computer and open itunes. With the itouch stuck on the apple logo, hold both the power and the home button continuously until the screen comes back up with the image of a usb connector pointing at the itunes icon. This may take 20 or more seconds. KEEP HOLDING BOTH BUTTONS UNTIL YOU SEE THIS SCREEN!

At this point your itunes program should recognize the device and it will prompt you to enter recovery mode. Just follow the directions. The recovery process will take several minutes (it will tell you how much time remaining at the top of the itunes home screen).

Hope it works for you. And I didn't even have to call for help.

Wtoj34

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same thing happened to me. Plug it in to a pc or Mac and open iTunes. My iPod simply turned on right there if yours doesn't, simply press restore and it should work. If not call iTunes or go to the store ( they should have no idea that it was attempted to be jailbroken) and make up a story. My friend had to do this and he said e was trying to take a picture (hulding power and home) and didn't knOw he had to let go. If one of these things turn your iPod in, I suggest going to jailbreakme.com on your iPod and it will have a slide to jailbreak. This is a full jailbreak without the computer. Note that it cannot be over 4.1 iOS to use jailbreakme. I hope this Ir anything else someone might post will help you

Wtoj34

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same thing happened to me. Plug it in to a pc or Mac and open iTunes. My iPod simply turned on right there if yours doesn't, simply press restore and it should work. If not call iTunes or go to the store ( they should have no idea that it was attempted to be jailbroken) and make up a story. My friend had to do this and he said e was trying to take a picture (hulding power and home) and didn't knOw he had to let go. If one of these things turn your iPod in, I suggest going to jailbreakme.com on your iPod and it will have a slide to jailbreak. This is a full jailbreak without the computer. Note that it cannot be over 4.1 iOS to use jailbreakme. I hope this Ir anything else someone might post will help you

Sonny bro

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Ipod touch 4g 4.2.1: Mozilla/5.0 (Sonny Bro!; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is ABSOLOUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to brick an iPod through installing software. The only way you can brick it is if you open the device and mess with the wiring. There is always an option to reset.

DaCaptain

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
iPod Touch 1G stuck in recovery mode after jailbreaking 3.1.3.

I previously had a custom jailbroken 3.1.3 on my iPod Touch 1G. I had successfully loaded it when I had my MAC, using the PwnageTool. I needed to re-jailbreak the iPod and only had access to a PC at the time. I used redsnow-win 0.9.4 and the iPod1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw firmware, I also tried using snowbreeze 2.0.2, made several attempts to try and jailbreak from DFU mode, all ending with my iPod being stuck with recovery mode being displayed. iTunes would try to sync but all that was displayed on the iPod screen was the recovery picture. Inevitably what I discovered was that somehow the creation of the custom firmware was getting botched now matter how many times I tried to recreate. I grabbed hold of a buddy with a MAC and had him create a custom firmware for me using PwnageTool, copied it to a flash drive and back over to the PC we go. Put the iPod back into DFU and restored the custom firmware successfully. I am not claiming that this will fix everyone's issues, but it might help at least a few folks out there. Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.