Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I have a 1st generation iPod Touch (running iOS 3.1.3) and am trying to connect it to my TV but am not having any luck. I have a new Apple component cable, MC917ZM (the "latest" one). Are these two compatible? Is there some trick to getting this to work? Thought I'd ask here before trying Apple's so-called "Geniuses." Thanks.

Background:
I have the component cable hooked up properly to the TV, which is set to the right input. When I launch the Apple-standard video player on the Touch, it lets me select a movie, then pulls up the very first frame in portrait mode only. It won't switch to landscape, and the play/pause/FF/rewind controls don't do anything. The time-scale indicator moves (but from zero, even if the movie is resumed in-progress). Meanwhile, nothing comes through on the TV, not even audio. TV-out settings have widescreen enabled and NTSC.

Apple's support page for TV out says clearly that the 1st gen Touch is supported and compatible with the component cable, if only at 480i. Of course, it lists the last version, MB128LL--which people online claim is identical to the MC917ZM one that I have, just no power charger.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Just to follow up, I repeated the connection a second time and everything worked great. Go figure. So I can confirm MC917ZM is compatible with a 1st-gen Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.