Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Space Marine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
So, I'm really stupid. I used the erase all settings and data on a jailbroken iPod touch 3rd generation, and now its stuck with this screen
gnhtYvS.jpg

I've tried DFU mode, I've tried recovery mode, I've tried draining the entire battery and then trying those 2, but nothing seems to work. It won't be recognized by my computer or itunes.
Its nothing wrong with my cord, I have 2 iphones (3GS and 3G) that are recognized perfectly.

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So, I'm really stupid. I used the erase all settings and data on a jailbroken iPod touch 3rd generation, and now its stuck with this screen
I've tried DFU mode, I've tried recovery mode, I've tried draining the entire battery and then trying those 2, but nothing seems to work. It won't be recognized by my computer or itunes.
Its nothing wrong with my cord, I have 2 iphones (3GS and 3G) that are recognized perfectly.

If its stuck on that screen, you are not in DFU mode or recovery mode. Your display is completely black when in DFU mode

Space Marine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
If its stuck on that screen, you are not in DFU mode or recovery mode. Your display is completely black when in DFU mode

I've tried to put it into DFU mode, but when I turn it on, it goes to the apple logo, Glitches out (See image) then it just resets the entire process. It won't let me no matter what enter recovery or DFU mode.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It will when it is in DFU mode. It sounds like you are not doing something correctly. It will restore properly once correctly put into DFU mode.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I've tried to put it into DFU mode, but when I turn it on, it goes to the apple logo, Glitches out (See image) then it just resets the entire process. It won't let me no matter what enter recovery or DFU mode.

Hold the home and power button for 10 seconds (in this time, your screen will remain black). Let go of the power button and hold the home button for 15-30 seconds. You are now in DFU mode. If you boot up to an apple logo, you are timing yourself wrong or doing something wrong

Space Marine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
Hold the home and power button for 10 seconds (in this time, your screen will remain black). Let go of the power button and hold the home button for 15-30 seconds. You are now in DFU mode. If you boot up to an apple logo, you are timing yourself wrong or doing something wrong

The Ipod automatically turns itself back on. There is no shutting it off to try to enter DFU mode, Unless you can do it while it is at the apple logo.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
The Ipod automatically turns itself back on. There is no shutting it off to try to enter DFU mode, Unless you can do it while it is at the apple logo.

No, do this while you are at the apple logo. You CAN do it. If you can't, then you are not doing it correctly. You don't have to start when the device is off

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Make sure your iPod is plugged into the computer you're going to restore it with while you put it into DFU mode.

Space Marine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
Do you have a non working power or home button? Hold the power and home button for like 20 seconds. If it doesn't turn off in that time, then that might be the case.

I know the power and home buttons work, there should be no reason they wouldn't be working. However, the 20 second thing didn't work. I'm wondering if that is because the ipod is technically frozen in this state (The wheel doesn't move at all)

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I know the power and home buttons work, there should be no reason they wouldn't be working. However, the 20 second thing didn't work. I'm wondering if that is because the ipod is technically frozen in this state (The wheel doesn't move at all)

If holding the power and home button doesn't reboot your device, one thing you can try is let the battery run out so the device turns off. Once that happens, plug in the power plug just so it has barely enough power to boot up.

Unplug right after it gets stuck at the apple logo and see if you can hold the power and home button to reboot the device. If you can, then you'll be able to enter DFU mode now. If not, well, you can try to enter DFU mode when it's in an off state

There might be some hardware damage but pressing the erase all content should not cause any hardware damage. Best of luck

Space Marine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
If holding the power and home button doesn't reboot your device, one thing you can try is let the battery run out so the device turns off. Once that happens, plug in the power plug just so it has barely enough power to boot up.

Unplug right after it gets stuck at the apple logo and see if you can hold the power and home button to reboot the device. If you can, then you'll be able to enter DFU mode now. If not, well, you can try to enter DFU mode when it's in an off state

There might be some hardware damage but pressing the erase all content should not cause any hardware damage. Best of luck
Sadly, I've already tried all that, and none of it works. I really don't know what I can do at this point.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Let the power drain and try again.

To get in to DFU:

Hold power and Home until the device turns off
Keep holding both for another 3 seconds
release power will keep holding home for another 10 seconds

Screen will be black and itunes should report a device in recovery mode(which it isn't but itunes doesn't "know" DFU).

If you can't get it into DFU that way after a complete power drain than it is a hardware failure

Space Marine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
Let the power drain and try again.

To get in to DFU:

Hold power and Home until the device turns off
Keep holding both for another 3 seconds

Screen will be black and itunes should report a device in recovery mode(which it isn't but itunes doesn't "know" DFU).

If you can't get it into DFU that way after a complete power drain than it is a hardware failure

If its a hardware failure, what do I do?

Space Marine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
Ya screwed. :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ugh, really? Its a 32 GB model, I spent so much money on this back then...
Is there any other way? :c

----------

let the power drain and try again.

To get in to dfu:

Hold power and home until the device turns off
keep holding both for another 3 seconds

screen will be black and itunes should report a device in recovery mode(which it isn't but itunes doesn't "know" dfu).

If you can't get it into dfu that way after a complete power drain than it is a hardware failure
yes, this fixed it
thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.