Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinflute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
I would like to communicate wirelessly between my ipod touch 4g and my macbook without a wifi router. Could any of the services in the sharing panel of the mac system preferences create wireless communication between these devices?

Let me explain a bit more. I am using a remote app on my touch (Cubase iC) to control audio recording software Cubase 5 on the mac. I'll be doing some recording out in the woods where there's no wifi, and I'd like to still use the touch as a remote. It seems like it should be possible to do this, since the communication is just between the two devices.

I have a new ipod touch 4g with up to date iOS (not jailbroken). And a MacBook Pro, running 10.6.7. Everything is up to date as of this post.

If this topic has been covered in another thread, please let me know.
Thanks for any tips.

~~

DaREdBaRoN

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
Illinois
Unless that remote app can pair using Bluetooth your out of luck buddy. Wifi and bluetooth are your only options for wireless communication between those two devices.

dakduel

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
ah-hoc wifi

i think you can create an ad-hoc wifi network on your mac then connect your iDevice to that network.

In the menu bar, click on the wifi signal strength icon and choose "Create Network..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.