Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n.senada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
so, long story short, my ipod's sleep button stopped working, took it into Apple, they gave me a new one (with 4.3.5) ಠ_ಠ

I used RedSn0w 0.9.8b7b to jailbreak (tethered), tried restoring from backup (from my previous ipod) in itunes, although it didn't do a full restore, it managed to transfer most of my settings, but not all. I also restored cydia with backup with success.
The jailbreak seemed to have worked.
Then my ipod shut down randomly and has not been able to boot up since.
When I plug it in to my computer, I get the 'in recovery, needs to be updated' message. but, sometimes it's profile will show up in itunes.

so far, I've tried:

using Redsn0w to boot tethered
using Redsn0w to put in pwned dfu
RecBoot to try and kick it out of recovery mode
tinyumbrella to try and kick it out
restoring using clean 4.3.5 ipsw in itunes
hard reset
pressing home button while plugging into computer
restarted computer & itunes
regular dfu mode

all with no success. I'm stumped.

the only thing that I haven't tried is restoring to firmware 5 via itunes, though I'd like to avoid that if I can.

I still have warranty left, but I can't take it in jailbroken- obviously. I am able to ssh into it still… would I be able to clear the jb out that way at all?

any suggestions, wisdom or pointing out of anything I've missed would be so much appreciated!

**UPDATE**

I was able to restore it to 5.0 and it was a result of either one (or both) of these things-

plugged iPod into wall and left it for about two hours
opened up TinyUmbrella, made sure the boxes for "set hosts to cydia on exit" & "request shsh from cydia" were unchecked, closed TinyUmbrella, went back to itunes and restored using 5.0 ipsw.

hope this helps some people out who were in the same predicament.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.