Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Payton@CPR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
So a little backstory:
A customer came in wondering why their apps were either running slow or not at all, even after they reset their device. After checking it myself I noted that the applications that ran without issue were ones that required no internet whatsoever. Youtube, for instance, crashed both in safari and in app. I've searched for quite a while and most forums I've browsed have stated that it's 9.3.5. Obviously there's no signed previous versions, and I'm new on the idea of jailbreaking a device (especially 9.3.5) in order to roll it back. I've reset the device myself using iTunes, but to no avail.

Any help provided with people who have perhaps had the same issues would be greatly appreciated.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Are you setting it as a new device or restoring the old backup?

Jailbreaking a device will not roll back the firmware. If you don't have a backup of the signing blobs, then you can only use the current firmware.

Payton@CPR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
Are you setting it as a new device or restoring the old backup?

Jailbreaking a device will not roll back the firmware. If you don't have a backup of the signing blobs, then you can only use the current firmware.

I'm setting it as a new device. I'm willing to doubt that the device (it's out of my hands at this point) has any backup from any earlier versions. I'll keep that in mind moving forward, however.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
The WiFi might be broken. Do you even get a IP number assigned? And can you ping it? Do the apps crash if you turn off WiFi?

All Macs with builtin WiFi have strange issues if you remove the WiFi (maybe because it expects it to exist). So my guess is the iPod has broken WiFi, so anything that touches WiFi will have issues.

Payton@CPR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
The WiFi might be broken. Do you even get a IP number assigned? And can you ping it? Do the apps crash if you turn off WiFi?

All Macs with builtin WiFi have strange issues if you remove the WiFi (maybe because it expects it to exist). So my guess is the iPod has broken WiFi, so anything that touches WiFi will have issues.
It does get an IP assigned. I can't ping with the device unless I went into the app store to get an app that pings, but it's a customer's phone and whilst I could get the password for the apple account, I tend to avoid that. Disconnecting the internet to access applications that require internet is a tad counterproductive. I'm willing to bet this iPod was one of the odd balls that came in that had a deeper issue than what we could fix.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Do you have access to a computer? It has ping built in. But if you get an address that begins with 169 it means that the iPod cannot connect and uses a default address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.