Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Hello
I have a 32GB iPod Touch 6th Gen, and it gets REALLY hot very quickly when I'm using it for basic tasks such as discord calls, listening to music (what), etc. It also crashes a lot due to the same processes. Is there a way to fix this? I'm running iOS 11 on it, could this be due to thermal throttling?

Anyone who can help me with this?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Check the battery usage in Settings - if the iPod Touch functions as the iPhone it will tell you what app is using the most energy. If you an app at the top that's using large amounts of energy and that seams unusual try deleting and reinstalling the app. If that fails, do a clean install of iOS 12 on Monday and set it up as new.

Reactions: Mac03ForLife

CosCom Inc

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
Hello
I have a 32GB iPod Touch 6th Gen, and it gets REALLY hot very quickly when I'm using it for basic tasks such as discord calls, listening to music (what), etc. It also crashes a lot due to the same processes. Is there a way to fix this? I'm running iOS 11 on it, could this be due to thermal throttling?

That is the same complain from virtually all the users. Can we launch a campaign against that?

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
I'm on iOS 11and have no such heat problems at all! It's also the first I've read about it. So, color me skeptical that "virtually all" users experience this.

Sounds like a different problem...

By the way, what is "discord calls"? That is, besides an auto-correct error...

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Discord calls are calls made through the discord app
That could be it. I did not experience any such problem in iOS 11 or 12.

The only crash of any kind I experience is if I try to update too many apps at once. I’d have to close and reopen the App Store to start again. I chalk that up to the Touch 6 having only 1G RAM. The workaround is to turn Auto Update off and only update one or two apps at a time. Later, I deleted all the ones I didn’t use—most of the ones that had migrated from my iPhone.

Come to think of it, if Auto Update is on, that could be your whole problem. Turn off background processing, too. Delete apps that you don’t use—this doesn’t delete the data in iOS 11 & 12 so you can download again if needed.

Give the apps you use some room to work and see if that doesn’t fix you up.

Last edited:

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
That could be it. I did not experience any such problem in iOS 11 or 12.

The only crash of any kind I experience is if I try to update too many apps at once. I’d have to close and reopen the App Store to start again. I chalk that up to the Touch 6 having only 1G RAM. The workaround is to turn Auto Update off and only update one or two apps at a time. Later, I deleted all the ones I didn’t use—most of the ones that had migrated from my iPhone.

Come to think of it, if Auto Update is on, that could be your whole problem. Turn off background processing, too. Delete apps that you don’t use—this doesn’t delete the data in iOS 11 & 12 so you can download again if needed.

Give the apps you use some room to work and see if that doesn’t fix you up.

So.... I have parental controls on my ipod, (i know right), and App Store is one of the restricted apps. As such, Auto Update is always on, as it is for my iPhone. However, my iPhone never crashes or lags. (RAM probably). What do you think?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
At the risk pf being Capt Obvious, I already told what I think. ;)

Fortunately, "There's nothing you can do that can't be (un)done." Disable Auto Update and Background Processing — unless there's an app or two where it's useful, then enable it for that only. If you've never gone through the list, you'll be amazed how many have it on by default, all sucking battery life and using system resources—ok, not much per app but it really adds up.

This will work or it won't. Please let us know.

zinogarphy

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
Hello
I have a 32GB iPod Touch 6th Gen, and it gets REALLY hot very quickly when I'm using it for basic tasks such as discord calls, listening to music (what), etc. It also crashes a lot due to the same processes. Is there a way to fix this? I'm running iOS 11 on it, could this be due to thermal throttling? Notepad++ Malwarebytes FileZilla

That is the same complain from virtually all the users. Can we launch a campaign against that?

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Seeing that it's an end of life product (unfortunately), good luck with that.

Mine runs cooler under iOS 12.1.1, still the current build. Apple promised increased efficiency and longer battery life; cooler operation is one of the byproducts. In addition, it is best to remove every app you do not use and disable all notifications and background processing for those apps you use.

My 2¢

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.