Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markoid63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2013
I just bought a second hand (near new) ipod touch 64gb 6th Generation. I confirmed with the lady when I went to pay that it was unlocked from her account, she told me that she doesn't have an Apple account so it was never used. I received it yesterday, went to reset under iTunes, when I get a message saying that "This ipod is linked to an Apple ID, enter the Apple ID & password that were used to set up this ipod.
1.....@qq.com".
The woman swears to me that she never did this, she doesn't know that email. After researching on line, it seems that it may be hacked. I tried ringing Apple to see what I could do and see if they can help, and was told unless I have the original Proof of Purchase there was nothing they can do. I have tried asking the woman if she has the Proof of Purchase but she is now not responding to me. I'm taking it I have been scammed, can anyone offer any help as to a way around this at all? I've trawled the internet, but can't seem to find a workable way of bypassing or fixing this.

Attachments

• ipod.jpg
    ipod.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 880

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm sorry to say so, but there isn't anything you can do. You've been scammed. Report it to the police but accept that you'll never get that money back.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

markoid63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2013
I'm sorry to say so, but there isn't anything you can do. You've been scammed. Report it to the police but accept that you'll never get that money back.
That is my thoughts. I think she has downloaded something and been hacked, that's why she sold it.

markoid63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2013
More likely it’s stolen.
Well the funny part is that it was in it's original Apple plastic case with lead, headphones, new back cover and screen protector. I've asked her for the purchase docket, she said she'd look for it, but haven't heard back. I don't know whether to come the heavy asking for my money back, or wait and see if she comes back.

markoid63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2013
Is that her Apple ID that it’s locked to or not? If no, it’s stolen. If yes, she can remove it from iCloud.com easily.
This is the thing, she says that's not her ID. She swears blind to me that that she has no Apple ID and it was never set up with one. I originally asked her for this to be done, before I bought it. A long distance purchase has had me scammed of $200 it would seem.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
This is the thing, she says that's not her ID. She swears blind to me that that she has no Apple ID and it was never set up with one. I originally asked her for this to be done, before I bought it. A long distance purchase has had me scammed of $200 it would seem.

That is quite unfortunate… all you can do at this point I guess is report whatever information you have to the police. It’s doubtful you will ever get any money back though… I’m still waiting on that after having a phone stolen from me during a craigslist purchase.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
This is a good reason to use PayPal backed by a credit card or a credit card for all long distance purchases.

Don't believe in doing that? Sorry — this is why you should anyway. Credit card companies can do a charge-back on the fraud.

markoid63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2013
This is a good reason to use PayPal backed by a credit card or a credit card for all long distance purchases.

Don't believe in doing that? Sorry — this is why you should anyway. Credit card companies can do a charge-back on the fraud.
I tried to do by Paypal, but she didn't have an account. Interesting thing is I have all her bank account details and name.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
qq.com is a Chinese language email service. Was the women Chinese? I know there was an issue a while back of people in china somehow reprogramming stolen devices with genuine apple serial numbers which were causing these issues when restored. Unless you have proof of postage apple is unlikely to help.

Reactions: glsillygili
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.