Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Can you connect the Apple Universal Dock with the FireWire cable available at the Apple Store to the new Intel iMac for syncing and charging the Touch

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
You can't use the firewire cable with a 5th gen ipod- I don't think they re-started support for firewire with the ipod touch.

I don't understand why they stopped though.

britpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
But is there a difference when connecting the firewire cable to the dock as apposed to connecting it to the ipod?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You can connect both the iPod touch and iPhone to a Firewire dock to charge. You can NOT sync via Firewire.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
USB will charge and sync the iPod, but will NOT charge while the Mac is asleep. Some report that leaving it connected while the host machine sleeps will actually DRAIN the battery.

FireWire will charge but NOT sync the iPod. It will also charge while the Mac is asleep.

I have one of the old firewire/USB hybrid cables that Apple sells and use that for my iPod touch. It sucks to use two ports, but it's a necessary evil for me. I don't leave my PowerBook running all night, but I want to charge my iPod and not worry about having to disconnect it.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I have one of the old firewire/USB hybrid cables that Apple sells and use that for my iPod touch. It sucks to use two ports, but it's a necessary evil for me. I don't leave my PowerBook running all night, but I want to charge my iPod and not worry about having to disconnect it.

You know, I use a belkin (i think, don't have it here) usb hub that has its own power cord to sync and charge my iphone. It works perfectly-it wakes my imac up when I put the phone in the dock, syncs quickly, and when my mac goes to sleep the phone continues to charge. Costs money, but no need to waste a port.

I have one of those split cables that you mention- I can't use it anymore because none of my ipods/phone can use it anymore.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
USB will charge and sync the iPod, but will NOT charge while the Mac is asleep. Some report that leaving it connected while the host machine sleeps will actually DRAIN the battery.

FireWire will charge but NOT sync the iPod. It will also charge while the Mac is asleep.

In Leopard, you can sleep your computer while your iPod charges and it works because I've done it. I have only USB cables, no FireWire.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
In Leopard, you can sleep your computer while your iPod charges and it works because I've done it. I have only USB cables, no FireWire.

My iPod's charge with USB during sleep (Intel iMac + 10.5.1)

I just tested this on my PowerBook and confirm that it still does NOT charge over USB while the PowerBook is asleep. It'll charge over firewire while asleep, but not over USB.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I just tested this on my PowerBook and confirm that it still does NOT charge over USB while the PowerBook is asleep. It'll charge over firewire while asleep, but not over USB.

I think you need an Intel Mac with Leopard to charge over USB during sleep. It works on my Mac Pro and the other user's iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.