Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riskyxxbusiness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Hey everybody, had a problem that i'm hoping someone can help me with. I received a 16GB iPod touch for christmas. haven't had any problems with the unit itself, but when i try to use the apple composite AV cable, I can get sound through the TV but no video.

Called apple, no explanation. Yes, it's plugged into the outlet as well, all the colors match, etc. even tried multiple tvs.

i have jailbroken it and am using the jailbreak 1.1.2 version. could this have anything to do with my video issue?

any help would be great.

thanks!

Bryan

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
The iPod touch supports video out via the dock connector port like the iPod classic (6G) models. Annoyingly, video out is only available while using an Apple cable, an Apple dock or another accessory with an "Apple Authentication" chip.

riskyxxbusiness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
that's part of what's confusing me...i AM using the new apple AV cable. it's the one that the apple 'genius' suggested.

redRAYZA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Just to clarify, does your cable plug into the headphone jack or the dock connector? If the one you have plugs into the headphone jack, then it's NOT the right cable. The touch uses THIS.

riskyxxbusiness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
my bad, i thought i was being specific enough. guess not :( yes, i'm using the official apple av composite cable linked above, connected through the dock connector.

everything is plugged in correctly, still no video...

todd3834

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Same problem

I have an iPod touch and I am having the same problem. YES it is the right cable. and YES it is hooked in to the right spot and have tried it with multiple TVs, but i get no video out. It seems like no one can help and its a crappy feeling.

iJordo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Can you...

Try to return it, as obvious as it seems, it is probably a faulty cable, OR, are u using it on High Definition Tv Sets, because that will require the component av cable set....just checking...Mine has worked, If you are jailbroken I reccomend just trying to return the cable, if u cannot, then take ur ipod in (youll need to restore it most likely to be helped lol...because it could be the 32 pin ipod input thats on your ipod, and one more question, does it charge when you use it, or is that faulty too?

todd3834

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Faulty Cable

I think your right. My temper has finally come down from a 10 to a 4. haha. I decided to restore my iPod thinking that would help. Then I noticed the $20 update that I was already not so happy about had been erased as well. When I did a google search others had the same problem but the apps came back after I did a sync so I'm just happy to at least have that back.

I still thought I could fix this stupid thing for so long. Tried it with my girlfriends iPhone and it still doesn't work. I'm just going to have to take the cable back tomorrow. Its a bummer though, I was so excited to see it working... :( I know I should just stop now but I am still going to try with an iPod video. If the cable works for that it may not be the cables fault. If it doesn't then I can sleep tonight knowing there is nothing I can do to make this thing work.

todd3834

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Worked with iPod Video

So I tried the cable with an iPod video and it worked. Now, I know most people are thinking "I'm using the old cable". I Promise, I checked and checked again, it is the right cable, it says works with iPhone, iPod Touch etc... but it only works with older iPods. It is the Apple Composite Cable, I bought it tonight. Well. Anyways, back down to the Apple store tomorrow as tonight was a complete waste of time. Its really too bad Apple wont pay me back for all of the gas I'm burning driving back and forth to their store.

I am just posting this because I have been seeing a lot of other unanswered posts with these problems. I'll keep everyone updated with the results after tomorrow. I am not leaving the store until they have my iPod touch plugged into one of their TVs and one of the videos play on the screen.

todd3834

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
did it charge

oh yea, and yes it did charge, it even played left and right audio, and with an iPod video it charged, played audio and video.

rottstin

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
If you are sure everything else is okay, it will work with 1.1.3. I had the problems you had and thought I needed to buy the newer cable (and, luckily, didn't). Yesterday I read in another forum that the update fixed it. I tried it and both video and audio are working beautifully.

limbery

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
video out

I upgraded the software etc. and re-tried with my Belkin AV dock....still nada....

rottstin

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
I tried with a non-Apple "universal" dock. It didn't work. What DID work was a combination of the Apple Universal Dock, the Apple Composite Cable and 1.1.3. I should have been more specific.

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
Since were on the subject i have a problem with my touch/video out.....

I bought a dock/cable (from headphone jack to yellow/red/white plugin) in 1 bundle called the universal connection kit or something made BY apple. I bought it around the time the 5.5g video came out (not classic, 1 before that) When i plug my touch into the dock which has the cable from the back of the dock to the yellow/white/red plugins on my TV i only get sound. Is there some sort of a TV out button or something?
Thanks

Edit : Yes i have 1.1.3

rottstin

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
The fact that your cable was made by apple does not mean it will work. It has to be THE composite cable for this to work and that was one of several that were at the store. The one I used was $19.95 (I originally bought it for the Video Ipod) and you can see it at http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?spart=M9765G/B#overview

There is, as far as I know, no button or setting which is comparable to the TV out "button" on the Video Ipod. But as soon as I upgraded to 1.1.3 AND made the connection to the dock with the touch attached and on AND selected a video to be played it asked whether or not I wanted the signal to go to the TV and I said yes. If the yellow, red and white connectors are not in place you do not get that message -- I tried it both ways just to be sure. If I try another video in that same session I do not get the message.

It does not show that it will work with the touch and it DIDN'T work with the touch until the 1.1.3 update.

And to be clear, I paid $20 for the upgrade, too. I was just at another site reading a review and the person making the review added to all the known and heralded features that the touch video now works on the TV and I thought I'd give it a try and verify it for myself. I don't know whether or not you have to pay the $20 to enable the feature, but it was worth the money to me. I know you can download the "upgrade" and bring your touch up-to-date (in fact you need to do that) without deciding to buy the app package, and I did both of those things within minutes of one another so I had everything in place before I tried sending the video to the TV. There are people who are on another forum saying that the new version really did nothing to the touch except fix some bugs, so if you have not paid the $20 maybe I was giving an incorrect impression.

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
I'm confused....

I have spent the $20 on the software. The cable you linked me is the exact same one i have, and you said you got it to work with that cable?

rottstin

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
So, does this mean that, once everything is working properly (ie. proper cable, hookup, etc.), that if you rent a move from iTunes, you can watch it on any TV?

rottstin

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
So, does this mean that, once everything is working properly (ie. proper cable, hookup, etc.), that if you rent a move from iTunes, you can watch it on any TV?

What it means is that I've been able to record DVDs that I own to my Imac. In addition, I've taken movies that I've made myself or downloaded from YouTube or any other video source and transferred them onto my Touch. Once they have been put on my Touch I have been able to play all of them on my TV and they look perfect, either in widescreen or not in widescreen. I have never rented a movie from Itunes and I have no idea how they are programmed to work. I believe I read that they are rented for some period of time and that from the point at which they are first played you have a specific period of time in which to see them. My guess would be that during this time frame you might be able to use some software to capture the audio and video to create a movie that can later be transferred to the Touch, but, again, I have had no experience with internet rentals and protection schemes.

todd3834

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Audio No Video before. returned faulty cable, now it works.

Update!I took my cable back to the apple store. After all of the employees tried it out and were stumped as to why it wasn't working I was told it only works with the component cable not composite. I was pissed but as I was exchanging it I saw my friend from a JAVA programming class at school and he was like wait WHAT!? no, that should work. Swapped it out with the same cable and it worked. It didn't have to be component, they both work, I just had a faulty cable. If anyone else is going crazy over their iPod touch or iPhone not showing video out. My problem was I got a faulty cable from Apple. You don't need the universal doc, the cable plugs right into the doc on your phone. (not the headphone jack, THAT would be the older one).

Hope this helps someone. My iPod touch now shows video and audio. I just had to replace the cable.

darkblu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
glad to hear it worked for you, todd.

i too am considering going this route, but it surely won't be the composite - i wouldn't use a composite AV cable with any video device worth its salt, let alone the sexy ipod touch.

*rant ensues*

composite is a last resort i.e. for those cases your tv supports nothing else (very unlikely these days). people need to say no to composite - it's the most outdated video tech still around, and the single most blatant stunt that the tv/video industry pulled on the consumer to push forward the whole HD fiasco: 'oh look how much better it is on HD!' - why, of course - when you compare an HDMI source to a composite source! what people really needed was widescreen digital tv, and that has little to with the tv set being HD. and the final stage (receiver box -> tv) could have been over component just as well.

*gets off soapbox*

Mr. Underhill

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
iPod and iPhone NO Video but Audio

Everything was going great, up until a month or so ago. I own an iPod 80GB classic and two iPhones (each of the iPhones are jailbroken but only one I use as a phone the other I use as a "touch").

I purchased an Apple Composite Cable less than a year ago -- Appel brand, has a USB end, a Red White & Yellow end, and paid aprrox. $60 for it.

So.. up until a month a ago I was able to get Audio as well as Video on all three devices. Now...all three do not show video...but Audio. I have tested the cable by using another --> same result.

I confirmed all the settings on the iPod -- NTSC, video out, etc... (I did not do the same on the iPhone b/c I really have no idea where they keep those iPod-esque settings). --. still no Video.

But here is the kicker.... EVERYONE of my friends' iPhones (ver 4+) and iPods work flawless -- i.e. both audio AND video. And in my friends' case, each is using upgraded and current versions of iTunes, etc.

I have no idea what the problem is? My guess is that it is something either with each one of my Apple devices -- the iPhone and iPod OR something in iTunes possibly?

Anybody have any ideas? Oh yeah, I have restored my iPod countless times (via the iPod and via iTunes). Also, I have concentrated with mind on the iPod only b/c that is an un-jailborken device so I could take out any jail-broken issue out of the equation.

I have spent countless hours searching the internet and reading the forums. This is getting on my nerves.

AFRISINA

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
The cable only seems to do video when viewing you tube and netflix.

Unless a site has been set up to stream video (?) , it will only do audio..

tweeber

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2012
Solved!

I bought an Apple Composite AV Cable on January 9th. It did not worked with iPad1, iPad2, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 3G (No video only sound). I tried with four different displays and nothing. It just worked fine with my iPod Classic (MA450ZP) so I thought the cable was good and the problem could be theiOS version of my devices. None of them had iOS 5.0.1. I looked for some answers in the web but I did not find a solution.I decided to update my iPod Touch to iOS 5.0.1 and the result was the same. After two days I decided to go back to the store with all my stuff (including a portable DVD player with AV input) to shoe them the cable was not working. I did not take with me the iPod Classic. I did not want them to think that cable was good.
After I made the demonstration they took a new cable and Voila! it worked with all the devices.
I did not know what the problem was. It is a mistery! I think, some cables manufactured by apple are defective (they do not test the 100% of the cables) and we were one of those that purchased a bad one.
The solution: Ask for a new cable from the store!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.