Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2022
Hi,

I'm facing a weird situation, where iTunes gives the following message when I try to restore my iPod Touch 3rd gen: "The iPod was previously in DFU mode, but restarted and is no longer in DFU mode. To restore this iPod from DFU mode, disconnect it and place it in DFU mode again"

As you can see from the screenshots, the iPod was in DFU mode when I tried to restore it. I also tried directly with an ipsw file, but iTunes pops up the same massage. The strange thing is, I tried with another iPod that works fine, put it in DFU mode, and I got the same message. I changed the laptop, tried various cables, but the error persists.

Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• 2022-10-08_21h11_05.png
    2022-10-08_21h11_05.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,229
  • 2022-10-08_21h10_34.png
    2022-10-08_21h10_34.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 400

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Is iTunes up to date and does the PC/laptop have internet access?

edit: btw, which ipsw did you try? iOS 5.1.1 or 4.1? Those two are the only ones still signed by Apple.

Last edited:

AlexiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2022
The iTunes is up to date and yes, the internet connection is stable. I tried both but I guess won't even count, the message is displayed immediately, exactly the same with an iPod Touch 2. I know the differences between recovery and DFU mode, always put it in DFU mode (black screen). Could it be related to something else rather than the device itself? As I said, could be a coincidence but two devices, same problem...

Thanks

AlexiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2022
Just a quick update. I successfully restored my iPad Mini and iPhone, just to verify if something's wrong with my iTunes-cables-firewall-internet or something else.

Regarding the iPods, I'm facing the same problem as above, I really have no idea what could it be.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Just a quick update. I successfully restored my iPad Mini and iPhone, just to verify if something's wrong with my iTunes-cables-firewall-internet or something else.

Regarding the iPods, I'm facing the same problem as above, I really have no idea what could it be.
That was a good move. But it's so strange that both iPods suddenly behave this way... I honestly have no other ideas.
They are both now stuck in DFU and when trying to restore you get the warnings from post #1?
Have you tried keeping them on a charger for some time just to rule out it needs a certain battery percentage (I seem to remember to have gotten a notification that for a restore at least 40% or 60% were required).
Did you recently update your iTunes and did previously use an older version with your iPods?
If you hadn't already switched the laptop, I would have suggested to start iTunes while pressing shift to temporarily create a new library for the sake of testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexiPod

sparky-sharpy

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2022
Hi,

I'm facing a weird situation, where iTunes gives the following message when I try to restore my iPod Touch 3rd gen: "The iPod was previously in DFU mode, but restarted and is no longer in DFU mode. To restore this iPod from DFU mode, disconnect it and place it in DFU mode again"

As you can see from the screenshots, the iPod was in DFU mode when I tried to restore it. I also tried directly with an ipsw file, but iTunes pops up the same massage. The strange thing is, I tried with another iPod that works fine, put it in DFU mode, and I got the same message. I changed the laptop, tried various cables, but the error persists.

Thank you for any advice!
Hi,

I had the same problem and was going round in circles!
Decided to download an old version of itunes from Oct 24th, 2013 and bingo it worked!
Downloaded old version from here - https://itunes-64-bits.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/51624
I had the new version installed already so needed to start it with shift pressed so that it would give the option of creating a new library. Other than that just need to accept a few windows permissions for accessing the ipod.
Hope you manage to restore yours as well

Andrew

AlexiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2022
Hi, Andrew!

Thank you so much for your suggestion, it worked! Wasn't an easy task though 😄 I had lots of 1611 iTunes error at the beginning. In order to fix that I tried so many solutions, changing usb drivers to older version, trying with different cables and usb ports, reinstalling iTunes for several times, and the big one, I had the exact same problem (error 1611) on another laptop. I thought that was the end of the fixing jorney. Without any hope, I tried on a 3rd laptop, running the same windows 10 as the other two, but idk how, it worked perfect from the beginning. A total mistery but I did recover my iPod. Thank you again.

Reactions: arw

letrunghieu40

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2022
Hi, Andrew!

Thank you so much for your suggestion, it worked! Wasn't an easy task though 😄 I had lots of 1611 iTunes error at the beginning. In order to fix that I tried so many solutions, changing usb drivers to older version, trying with different cables and usb ports, reinstalling iTunes for several times, and the big one, I had the exact same problem (error 1611) on another laptop. I thought that was the end of the fixing jorney. Without any hope, I tried on a 3rd laptop, running the same windows 10 as the other two, but idk how, it worked perfect from the beginning. A total mistery but I did recover my iPod. Thank you again.
can u do a full video tutorial plz
i'm having the same problem and i dont know what to do
i'm struggling
plz help me :((

cardinl

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2022
Hi,

I had the same problem and was going round in circles!
Decided to download an old version of itunes from Oct 24th, 2013 and bingo it worked!
Downloaded old version from here - https://itunes-64-bits.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/51624
I had the new version installed already so needed to start it with shift pressed so that it would give the option of creating a new library. Other than that just need to accept a few windows permissions for accessing the ipod.
Hope you manage to restore yours as well

Andrew
hey!

i own an ipod touch 4 and i could'nt remember its password cause it was in my cupboard for a long time so i decided to restore it but itunes showed that error "The iPod was previously in DFU mode, but restarted and is no longer in DFU mode. To restore this iPod from DFU mode, disconnect it and place it in DFU mode again" so i did what u told and installed itunes 11 but my ipod gets stuck at "preparing for recovery" and then shows error "1611". i did a lot of research on it but couldn't find anything that could help. pls help me.

AlexiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2022
Hi @cardinl

I had the exact same problem as you at the beginning, I described the situation above. Couldn't find a solution (tried all the USB ports, many cables, same error) so I just tried on another laptop, I got the same error but I tried again on a 3rd laptop and it worked without any problem , I don't know how... Try another pc/laptop, I guess is all related to USB ports.

cardinl

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2022
Hi @cardinl

I had the exact same problem as you at the beginning, I described the situation above. Couldn't find a solution (tried all the USB ports, many cables, same error) so I just tried on another laptop, I got the same error but I tried again on a 3rd laptop and it worked without any problem , I don't know how... Try another pc/laptop, I guess is all related to USB ports.
well thats the problem you see, i dont have another pc. there has to be another way to restore my ipod.

sunshine021

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
Oh wow! I had the exact same DFU problem/error on both of our new laptops (running latest windows 10 and latest iTunes). I tried the suggestion and pulled out my old laptop (bought in 2017) with old itunes (May 2022), and it worked!!! Only the old laptop could restore the ipod. I am very happy it worked, but very disappointed that my newest tech failed me. Thank you so much for posting this! Otherwise, I would have had to garbage my ipod touch.

dts439

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2023
I had exact same issue with an iPod Touch 4th Gen that I was trying to restore and was stuck in a "in DFU then not in DFU" loop in iTunes.
Loading an older version of iTunes (11.1.2) on another machine allowed me to recover the iPod. Current version of iTunes also appears to have removed the relevant drivers for the device.

TurkeyMaster07

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2023
can i have help if tried restoring my ipod touch 4g many times because it is saying i cant activate it becasue my software isnt new enough and whenver i try to restore it it does nothing please help.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The Touch 4 is now on the Vintage list which means that Apple will look at it (free) and service it if parts are available (for a fee).

iPod products vintage worldwide​

• iPod nano (7th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod shuffle (4th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod touch (4th generation)
Once it hits the Obsolete list, Apple won't touch it. You want it checked before that happens.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I experienced a similar issue with an SE I was recently trying to restore, turned out it was the cable I was using. As soon as I used the old USB A to lightning cable it worked first time.

Reactions: mikehalloran

pbpringles

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
I tried so many things on my Windows PC (downloading the IPSW files, using old versions of iTunes), nothing worked (either I got an error in iTunes saying it could not be restored or error 1611 after the restoration was completed).

Plugged it into my old Mac, worked on the first try. I presume it has something to do with the drivers, but I'm not 100% sure.

This was for my original iPhone and iOS 3.1.3 btw.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.