Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
As the title says. I've got a touch which is in pristine condition except that the lightning port won't allow for charging unless I'm physically pressing upon the cable connector in a particular way. Let it go and the connection is lost. I've ruled out all alternative explanations except that the wires aren't touching the iPod unless angled up or down. It didn't just happen, it was a long progression of time and now it's nearly impossible to charge it.

Does anyone know of any lightning cables which can work with a worn out port?

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
As the title says. I've got a touch which is in pristine condition except that the lightning port won't allow for charging unless I'm physically pressing upon the cable connector in a particular way. Let it go and the connection is lost. I've ruled out all alternative explanations except that the wires aren't touching the iPod unless angled up or down. It didn't just happen, it was a long progression of time and now it's nearly impossible to charge it.

Does anyone know of any lightning cables which can work with a worn out port?
I periodically have the same problem with my 1st gen iPhone SE. The problem for me is "stuff" in the lightning port. I carefully use an air duster to clean the pocket lint out of the port, which solves the problem until the next time. Some caution that you shouldn't use air dusters for this, but there are other methods.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Try another cable. If it's been getting worse over time, it could be the cable going bad.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Please believe me when I say the port is worn out. I've ruled out just about everything else. What I'm asking is whether anyone else here has had this problem due to age. Maybe the wires inside the port are corroded? Anything.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
There are tools that can clean and burnish the port. Also, objects can stick in the bottom and cause a problem.

An iPod Touch 4 or newer can still be serviced by Apple. Have them check it out. The Touch 4, being Vintage, may depend on parts availability.

iPod products vintage worldwide​

• iPod nano (7th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod shuffle (4th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod touch (4th generation)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.