Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
For strictly fitness purposes. Apple watch is the obvious choice, but with an iPod touch you can do a LOT more considering more storage, fitness apps, tips etc to avoid clogging your personal phone with all that. The only downfall is you can’t wear it, though the 5th gen iPod did have those wrist straps.. maybe removing them was a mistake after all. Are there any iPod touch cases that add that on?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Given that the watch requires an iPhone (which is basically a superset of the iPod touch functionality) they really aren't comparable products.

i.e., if you have a watch, you have what is, essentially an iPod touch (with cellular) to pair it with.

The iPod can't do stuff like measure your pulse, which is pretty useful for monitoring athletic progress. It's very encouraging to see real world results of your pulse rate vs. performance when it is tracked by the watch.

Also for resting pulse rate vs. diet / fitness. A watch regularly tracks your pulse rate, which gives you long term both active and resting trend information you simply won't get with an iPod or other "only used during workout" device.

e.g., for me with a change of diet (mostly quitting sugar/carbs) it was dramatic...

B49C3397-969A-461C-9367-0432B3D50772.png

Reactions: kht410

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
Given that the watch requires an iPhone (which is basically a superset of the iPod touch functionality) they really aren't comparable products.

i.e., if you have a watch, you have what is, essentially an iPod touch (with cellular) to pair it with.

The iPod can't do stuff like measure your pulse, which is pretty useful for monitoring athletic progress. It's very encouraging to see real world results of your pulse rate vs. performance when it is tracked by the watch.

Also for resting pulse rate vs. diet / fitness. A watch regularly tracks your pulse rate, which gives you long term both active and resting trend information you simply won't get with an iPod or other "only used during workout" device.

e.g., for me with a change of diet (mostly quitting sugar/carbs) it was dramatic...

View attachment 931356

You could easily get a cheaper and reliable fitness watch and use it with an iPod touch to get the best of both worlds, probably would be cheaper than the latest apple watch itself too.

Reactions: philrock

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, I don't see the point of having both an iPhone and an iPod touch for fitness purposes, especially when the Apple Watch will only pair with an iPhone.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
My daughter has an iPod Touch for iMessage, FaceTime, photos, games, etc. I was thinking of getting her a fitness tracker as she has started to enjoy biking, running and walking. I briefly considered an Apple Watch but think it's overkill as a $75 FitBit + her iPod would offer the same functionality.

Once the Apple Watch has FaceTime capability the story changes...

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010

View attachment 931356

Congrats that’s a great resting rate.

Reactions: throAU

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Also not all apps support the Apple Watch, whereas the iPod touch supports everything that's on your iPhone.

Reactions: philrock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.