Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Triple A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Hi,
i have ipod touch 4 running on ios 4.0 i want to upgrade to 4.1 but so i could jailbreak it untethered bt when i click on update in itunes it always shows ios 4.2 can anyone tell me how to upgrade to 4.1 plz...

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
What generation iPod do you have?

Find out, for example you have a second gen iPod

Google "ipod touch 2G iOS 4.1 IPSW"

Then download it

go to iTunes and press command (or ctrl on windows) and restore, then select the file you have just downloaded and it will update to iOS 4.1

need any more help or a more detailed instruction just ask

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Uh, I think you would need to have SHSH blobs saved for 4.1 in order to update to that, and I get the feeling you might not have them.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Uh, I think you would need to have SHSH blobs saved for 4.1 in order to update to that, and I get the feeling you might not have them.

Since it is an upgrade, it should be alright, since it is above the current firmware version I think the apple servers will automatically sign it and make it alright

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Since it is an upgrade, it should be alright, since it is above the current firmware version I think the apple servers will automatically sign it and make it alright

Apple stopped signing 4.1 on Dec. 2, 2010. I don't think they make exceptions. All the discussions I've seen on the four forums I visit say you can't upgrade or downgrade to something Apple isn't signing unless you have blobs. I don't even think you can restore to the same version if they aren't signing it, but I'm not absolutely sure about that (Anybody reading this done that?). I know hacker iH8sn0w is working on a utility to extract the blobs from your current firmware and save them, without recourse to Apple, to let you go back in case an upgrade doesn't work for you. But that isn't ready yet as far as I know (from following his tweets).

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Apple stopped signing 4.1 on Dec. 2, 2010. I don't think they make exceptions. All the discussions I've seen on the four forums I visit say you can't upgrade or downgrade to something Apple isn't signing unless you have blobs. I don't even think you can restore to the same version if they aren't signing it, but I'm not absolutely sure about that (Anybody reading this done that?). I know hacker iH8sn0w is working on a utility to extract the blobs from your current firmware and save them, without recourse to Apple, to let you go back in case an upgrade doesn't work for you. But that isn't ready yet as far as I know (from following his tweets).

Its already possible to save your blobs and if you have them then you can upgrade/downgrade change whatever as long as you have the blobs on file.

there are a few different software solutions to extract them and save them to your PC/Mac.

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Its already possible to save your blobs and if you have them then you can upgrade/downgrade change whatever as long as you have the blobs on file.

there are a few different software solutions to extract them and save them to your PC/Mac.

But the blobs have to be obtained when Apple is still signing that firmware. When Apple stops signing a firmware, it's to late to get the blobs. If you know a way for someone to get blobs for 4.1 now, a lot of people on a lot of forums would love to hear about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.