Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Frank (Atlanta) said:
Question: Are each of the updaters fully-contained?

That is, if I download this latest version, do I need to keep prior versions for
any reason?

Thanks,
Frank

Well unless you want to collect code. . .Then no. :)

carigirl

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2005
Help! After downloading update 6.0 my ipod is empty

I am hoping someone can help. I recently downloaded version 6.0 on itunes for my ipod mini. In doing so, my ipod now has nothing on it. My itunes library however is intact and any time I plug my ipod in, its like my computer doesnt recognize it. I have reset my ipod, and that hasnt worked. I am beside myself trying to get my music back. Any suggestions????:confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That's weird, but an iTunes update actually has very little in common with an iPod updater, so you might do better to make a dedicated thread.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
russed said:
when is the update for photo ipods to give them the same ability as the video ones e.g. lock, world clock, stopwatch.

Sky Blue said:
it'll be out with the update that gives panther users dashboard, spotlight and safari2.

Well, I for one am waiting for the update that will change my 1.67 Powerbook G4 into at New Intel based Powerbook with a new Dual core Yonah processor, but hey!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So... this Page 2 rumour... it doesn't exist? is it a fake, invisible, vapourware iPod update? :D

dabeatles

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2003
red_wedge said:
still no fix for smart playlists then. it's been a year since they disabled auto updating of playlists on the ipod - about time they fixed it.

The update for Podcasts broke smart playlists on 4Gs and minis (didn't tough the first three gens), however it looks like it's fixed on nanos and 5Gs.

red_wedge

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2003
Lapland, Finland
dabeatles said:
The update for Podcasts broke smart playlists on 4Gs and minis (didn't tough the first three gens), however it looks like it's fixed on nanos and 5Gs.

You're right, it hasnt been a year, my mistake. I only got my iPod in April so it cant have been. But anyway, it's stopped working and I wish they'd fix it. But it seems like Apple is not interested in returning the functionality which existed when I bought it. I mean if Apple disabled video play in the new iPods and did nothig about it people would be pissed off. That's an incredible exaggeration but you get my point.

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
i didn't know there was a smart playlist issue??

My 4G works fine on autoupdating smart playlists and everything else. well, almost. it does screw up my album art occasionally, but i think that's an itunes issue and not an ipod issue.

however, i do wish it could make use of the lyrics feature like the nano & 5G can. :(

red_wedge

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2003
Lapland, Finland
usclaneyj said:
My 4G works fine on autoupdating smart playlists and everything else. well, almost.

Really? Have you installed all the updates? I have a smart playlist which selects 25 unplayed songs. It used to work so that when the ipod played the songs in the playlist, it would remove them and add new unplayed songs automatically. Now I (and many others - see the Apple discussion boards and Apple's note here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301910) have to connect it to the Mac to get it to do this through iTunes - which is OK but it was much more convenient (and way cooler!) before.

fossicker

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2004
red_wedge said:
You're right, it hasnt been a year, my mistake. I only got my iPod in April so it cant have been. But anyway, it's stopped working and I wish they'd fix it. But it seems like Apple is not interested in returning the functionality which existed when I bought it. I mean if Apple disabled video play in the new iPods and did nothig about it people would be pissed off. That's an incredible exaggeration but you get my point.

Yes, I let out a loud expletive when I saw an ipod update but still no fix.

Maybe a better analogy would be if in January apple does put out a dvr mini and it allows you to send recorded shows to your video ipod but the video ipod stops being able to play video purchased from the itms. I mean, the update that broke live updating also added podcast functionality.

Maybe Apple is banking on the idea that people who miss this feature are power users who might be more easily nudged into upgrading to a new model?

But while it's kind of understandable to load a new model with extra features as an enticement to upgrade, it's reprehensible to _take away_ existing features.

Maybe they'll fix it after Christmas -- the people with a serious jones for that feature will have upgraded by then, the rest of us have become accustomed to whatever cumbersome workarounds we've implemented.

(note: I realize that this was probably not an evil plan worked out in advance by apple. It's more likely that the bug was introduced by mistake and 99% of ipod users didn't notice or care so it is a low priority to fix.)

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Sky Blue said:
it'll be out with the update that gives panther users dashboard, spotlight and safari2.

My old 3G 20 GB iPod (soon to be sold to my aunt, now I've got a brand spankin' new 60 GB iPod w/ video :D ) supports on-the-go playlist saving, and has a "Music" menu instead of the original "Library", plus the useless "Shuffle Songs" menu item (I've always wanted to have a shortcut to the Shuffle item found in the Settings menu, so I could toggle it from the main menu... Duh, Apple, way to go...).

So iPod Photo and iPod w/ colour screen users will get that update, but probably when Apple introduces the iPod 6G/Video/whatever... :rolleyes:

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
red_wedge said:
Really? Have you installed all the updates? I have a smart playlist which selects 25 unplayed songs. It used to work so that when the ipod played the songs in the playlist, it would remove them and add new unplayed songs automatically. Now I (and many others - see the Apple discussion boards and Apple's note here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301910) have to connect it to the Mac to get it to do this through iTunes - which is OK but it was much more convenient (and way cooler!) before.

Aaahh.. see, i've never even noticed that. All my smart lists that have song limits/random song selections/etc are large enough so that I probably wouldn't notice something like that.

I usually end up docking the ol' pod every day either way.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
red_wedge said:
This is most likely a deliberate feature change, not a bug.

I've a friend with a 60G iPod, who makes extensive use of smart playlists. He has about 75 of them on his iPod.

With the original firmware, the music would stutter briefly at the beginning of every track. With the firmware update that disabled auto-updating, the stuttering ceased.

We're pretty certain that the stuttering was happening because there wasn't enough CPU power to update all those smart playlists before the playback buffer drained.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.