Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason Y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2020
Hi, I am a new member here and would like to seek some help for my Ipod.

I had an old Ipod Video and recently when I took it out and tried to turn it on, it showed sad face.
After some research, I knew it could be the hard drive that had been dead.

I then found some info to use an sd card to replace the hard drive.
So, now I have a 128GB samsung micro sd, an sd adaptor, a CF-ZIF adaptor. All are recently bought.

After the assembly of all parts, the sad face was gone. When I normally turned the iPod on, it showed the message asking me to connect to iTunes to restore. But, when I plugged it to my PC, it could not be normally read. Sometimes the new drive was shown in Windows Explorer and "Apple iPod Device" was also shown in Device Management. But it took indefinitely to load and finally would freeze, so would the iTunes.

I thought maybe other accessories were faulty, so below are what I have done:
- used a newly bought USB cable.
- used different USB ports and even another PC.
- I even replaced the hard drive cable in case it was the culprit.
- used another micro SD card of SanDisk.

But, the same problem still exists now.
I have run the diagnostic mode, and found that it can detect that my sd card is 128GB. (Error was shown for my old hard drive) So, I know that the hard drive is one of the thing that I have solved. But now it is another problem.
I started to think if it would be the main board? or the parts that I bought were faulty?

Has anyone experienced something similar and can give me some advice?
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.