Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catherineveragates847

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
How long do you think it will take to move 250GB of photos and videos over to a iMac using the iPod touch with an A10 Fusion chip?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
It's hard to say exactly how long it will take because the size is not the only factor here. What year is your iMac? I think Lightning doesn't get much faster than USB2 so it may take a while.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I think Lightning doesn't get much faster than USB2 so it may take a while.
No idea why you would think that.

Lightening has been USB 3 for a few years now. First, the iPad Pro, then all the iPads and iPhones. The latest Apple CCK with the extra charge port is listed as being USB 3 and I can confirm it’s very fast. The old CCK without the charge port was listed as being USB 2. I’m hoping the Touch 7 has it but I see no mention of that anywhere. No reviews, not even Everymac mentions USB speed for this unit.

I have a way of testing this vis-á-vis my iPad Pro or iPhone 11 Pro but I would have to drag out a bunch of equipment to do so and measure round trip latency. That’s a royal PIA with my handicap and I’m just not interested enough in the results.

There’s another way to test. I have the same song list on both the Touch 7 and my iPhone — sync and back up times are nearly identical. I suppose I could wipe te song list and time a reinstall from my iMac Pro … naw, still not interested. That would be a conclusive test, however.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney

Lightening has been USB 3 for a few years now. First, the iPad Pro, then all the iPads and iPhones. The latest Apple CCK with the extra charge port is listed as being USB 3 and I can confirm it’s very fast. The old CCK without the charge port was listed as being USB 2. I’m hoping the Touch 7 has it but I see no mention of that anywhere. No reviews, not even Everymac mentions USB speed for this unit.

I have a way of testing this vis-á-vis my iPad Pro or iPhone 11 Pro but I would have to drag out a bunch of equipment to do so and measure round trip latency. That’s a royal PIA with my handicap and I’m just not interested enough in the results.

There’s another way to test. I have the same song list on both the Touch 7 and my iPhone — sync and back up times are nearly identical. I suppose I could wipe te song list and time a reinstall from my iMac Pro … naw, still not interested. That would be a conclusive test, however.

First of all the 9.7 inch iPP doesn’t have usb 3 out of the pros and secondly only the iPad Pro line, not any iPad or even the iPhone has USB 3. Only usb2

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018

That's why I remained unsure of the speed, I don't know if the Touch 7 is using the same spec as others since it was such a cheap upgrade job over the 6. 6th gen I am nearly sure had USB 2 speeds

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
That's why I remained unsure of the speed, I don't know if the Touch 7 is using the same spec as others since it was such a cheap upgrade job over the 6. 6th gen I am nearly sure had USB 2 speeds

It’s using usb 2

As I mentioned above, only 2nd gen iPP and first gen 12.9 inch iPP have usb 3 speeds

Even the lightning to usb3 camera adapter can confirm that

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
That’s not correct even if you have mentioned it before.

Exactly how does the CCK confirm that? I know tests I can run but how does the unit confirm it?

So your telling me Apple is lying when they released this

Even says it here which lighting ports use usb 3

Also read this

Read post 4 and voila you have it no usb 3 on iPhones because they use 8 pin connectors not 16 in which the usb 3 iPad Pros mentioned do

As of CCK I don’t know what it is and I don’t need to know what it is but I do know one thing... it doesn’t determine which device is using usb2 or usb 3

So even if new iPhones don’t use usb3 ( and your claim that all iPhones released since iPad Pros were released use usb 3) what the hell makes you think the iPod Touch will

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
As of CCK I don’t know what it is and I don’t need to know what it is but I do know one thing... it doesn’t determine which device is using usb2 or usb 3
But you said exactly that it does.

The CCK is short for the Apple Camera Connection Kit. That is a widely known acronym and used regularly on MacRumors. All you had to do is ask what it means or Google it when you didn't know. If you're going to criticize others on this topic, then yes, you do need to know.
Even the lightning to usb3 camera adapter can confirm that
My question is how?

I have run round trip latency tests on my iPad Pro 2nd gen and my iPhone 11 Pro. It was important for me to know this in case my 12.9" went down before or during a gig. Others have run such tests on the base model iPad and confirmed USB3 data transfer speeds. In my earlier post, I mentioned that I wasn't interested in running them on my Touch 7 and still am not but I could. I have also stated that no one has and Apple hasn't stated the port speed of the Touch 7— haven't read anything to contradict that, either.

It's fine that you don't understand such things—really, it is — but you might think twice before running down others who do know. Google is your friend.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
But I understand such things even if I don’t have the lightning to usb 3 adapter

And the majority of people in this forum won’t believe you anyway, a lot of people won’t believe that all iPhones have usb 3 or base iPads have usb 3

You ask how when I showed you that link which lightning devices have usb 3.0. I don’t believe in tests done by others to confirm

And especially when I’ve read threads like this to debunk your claim

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/d2pypi

So please stop lying.

• Angry
Reactions: mikehalloran

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
But I understand such things even if I don’t have the lightning to usb 3 adapter

And the majority of people in this forum won’t believe you anyway, a lot of people won’t believe that all iPhones have usb 3 or base iPads have usb 3

You ask how when I showed you that link which lightning devices have usb 3.0. I don’t believe in tests done by others to confirm

So please stop lying.
None of your links point to anyone who has tested or posted results. I do not lie when I say that I have tested.

You could have asked my methods or for me to publish the results but no, you didn’t. In fact, you didn’t even know the terms that those familiar with this use.

Calling others names does not prove your point.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
None of your links point to anyone who has tested or posted results. I do not lie when I say that I have tested.

You could have asked my methods or for me to publish the results but no, you didn’t. In fact, you didn’t even know the terms that those familiar with this use.

Calling others names does not prove your point.

This has nothing To do with your results, I have said which lightning devices have USB 3.0 based on the link provided but you created lies based on your supposed tests that every iOS device since the iPad Pros came out have USB 3.0

The correct answer you could have written a couple of posts ago is NVMe since all iPad Pros (and A9 devices and later) have it which accounts for faster transfer speeds and could be why your “tests” all across the board be the same since NVMe in these devices is akin to a PC class SSD and the A8 and before was usingnot ANYTHING TO DO WITH USB 3 which I told you which lightning devices use it and I showed you the link to the usb 3 camera adapter which Apple states which lightning devices have usb 3

And a screenshot. If you still think all iPhones and iPads released since iPad Pros have USB 3 even when Apple has stated the obvious then I don’t know what to say

Attachments

• F0800AC1-4CD8-4ADA-A2F7-6855ABD7AEC6.png
    F0800AC1-4CD8-4ADA-A2F7-6855ABD7AEC6.png
    253.3 KB · Views: 303

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I don’t know what to say
That’s easy to figure out. Quoting links that don’t prove your point and claiming that you didn’t say things you did is another clue. Since you keep making it clear that do not understand the topic, best to say nothing. Try it
I don’t believe in tests done by others to confirm
You say that as if it’s a good thing. No reason to respond further to anything you post.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
That’s easy to figure out. Quoting links that don’t prove your point and claiming that you didn’t say things you did is another clue. Since you keep making it clear that do not understand the topic, best to say nothing. Try it

You say that as if it’s a good thing. No reason to respond further to anything you post.

I’m sorry, I’m posting links which don’t prove my point when the whole point of the argument clearly says WHICH ****EN APPLE DEVICES WITH LIGHTNING USE USB 3. I proved my point unlike you which clearly doesn’t understand the topic.

But keep on dreaming mate on your end that All iOS devices since first gen iPad Pro was released with USB 3. Even Apple must be lying about it when the USB 3 camera adapter clearly ****en states which Apple devices have USB 3 attached in the female port but you chose to ignore that part of the evidence. And even when the fine print of the link and photo clearly says that even the 9.7 inch iPP uses USB 2 ( the only iPP to use USB 2) you still would assume it has USB 3 based on this lie right here

Lightening has been USB 3 for a few years now. First, the iPad Pro, then all the iPads and iPhones.

Again your post sounds like NVMe because again no iPhone has USB 3 speeds

I’ve seen posts throughout the years that even iPhones till now still come with USB 2 speeds

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: mikehalloran

loikut64g

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
@mikehalloran

I tested it a few months ago. Only the iPads (12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st and 2nd generation) and 10.5-inch iPad Pro) support low and unstable USB 3 speed (20-70 MB/s) when in host mode and this Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter must be used. The adapter provides additional power to the lightning connector, so there is also an extra lightning connector on the adapter. This needed for storage media that need more power.

If you use this adapter with other lightning products like iPhones, iPad mini, iPad Air etc... it is only USB 2.0 in host mode.

If these 3 iPad Pro are not in host mode, without Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, only USB 2.0 is supported, just like all other current lightning devices (iPhone 12 Pro, iPod touch 7, iPad 8th generation).

The problem is that the lightning connector is not powerful, this is a hardware problem that cannot be solved. Therefore no lightning product directly supports USB 3 transfer speed only with USB-C to Lightning cable to PC or Mac.

Last edited:

loikut64g

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
Only with the first USB-C devices like the iPad Pro 11 (2018) supported without adapter directly with USB-C cable USB 3 transfer speed in host mode and without host mode.

If interested here are the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.