Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
seriously if you really don't know who is playing a song, just pull the ipod out of your pocket...how hard is that people?

Your obviously not keeping your iPod in a backpack. Otherwise, you would see a definite need for this. For example:
kid- "Can I listen?"
me- "Yeah."
kid- "Wow, that sounds great! What song is that?"
me- "Let me get it out of my bag..."
two mins later
kid- "I gotta go."
me- "But, I have it here - wait, hold on..."

Each time I need to cahnge a song, it takes me a good two mins. to find the thing. Now, if there were an LCD remote, I could change from one Beatles CD to another without taking it out.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
if they can justify it for an MDplayer, even smaller than an ipod, i am sure it'd be no prob to justify an LCD remote for an ipod. but personally, i don't think that is useful. i can see the whole backpack thing, but the iPod really is so small, you can fit it in your pocket--optimally in a coat pocket if it isn't too hot out. but no matter. i can see how a lot of you folks would find it very useful, and an LCD remote would only make it more versatile. no one would make you use it or anything, of course. you could always keep it in your pocket and not use the remote. but the real issue is denarii. would this allow them to raise the price? i think it would. it'd be better off as an add on, i think. i mean, shoot, they make you drop like 30$ for a monster cable "iPod" branded iPod to component cable. that is like a million times higher quality than an MP3 can deliver, even at 320 Kb/s or more. that's another issue though. i want an iPod so bad, lol.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
the ipod was made small for a reason...to fit in your pocket

are you just trying to be difficult? it is a good idea.

and the ipod isnt small imo. its much bigger than anything else i would consider storing in my pocket. if apple truly wanted to make it small they should have gone with ibm rather than toshiba. i am always baffled when trying to figure out why apple went with toshiba's drive when ibm offered one half the size.

sure it fits in your pocket, but its a bit of a squeeze, and certainly not easy to pull in and out on a whim.

right now i have no music on my ipod (its full of data at the moment, thats right the ipod is more than just an mp3 player) but usually i have a full 8-10 gb on it. and i certainly dont know every artist and song title out of 2000 songs (and these are generally cds i have owned for years). and even if i do know all the songs i may not know them from the first few notes of the song. it would be nice to be able to glance down at the remote when a song changes and see what the next song is.

the ipod, in its current incarnation is very indicative of any apple first generation product. it looks nice. sort of works, but takes a few updates to bring it up to par with what we normally expect from apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.