Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2002
I'm interested in buying an ipod, the 5gb version, possibly the 10 gb. I was wondering when you guys think a good time to buy is, maybe wait till the expo? or wat?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think now is a good a time as any, with the 20Gb released at MWNY the prices of the 5 and the 10 are now great value, you can't go wrong :)
Buy one, and you won't regret it! :D

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
You missed the back to school sale. I picked up a 10G iPod for $319. Get the 10 and not the 5gb. The 10 has the touch wheel, while the 5 has the mechanical wheel. You also get the remote control, which is awesome. The case sucks, though. Even if you get it, dont use it. My clip broke from the case, which could have resulted in it falling to the ground. I went to xtrememac.com and got their case which is awesome. I got a deal with a case that has a post on the back and then a belt clip and two clips with adhesive backs. I put one clip on my monitor at work for when I am charging it, and the other in my car where the passengers left knee would touch the center console. Plus I got the package that came with the cassette adapter and car power adapter. All for like 70-80 dollars. It was worth the price.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by peterjhill
You missed the back to school sale. I picked up a 10G iPod for $319. Get the 10 and not the 5gb. The 10 has the touch wheel, while the 5 has the mechanical wheel.

Why is the touch wheel better than the mechanical wheel? You really can't go wrong with even the oldest 5GB iPod...it is still way ahead of everyone else right?

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by JSRockit

Why is the touch wheel better than the mechanical wheel? You really can't go wrong with even the oldest 5GB iPod...it is still way ahead of everyone else right?
The 5GB model is good but the touch wheel has no mechanical parts to gum up or break. The touch wheel is a lot better to handle, find some store models and try it out.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Durandal7

The 5GB model is good but the touch wheel has no mechanical parts to gum up or break. The touch wheel is a lot better to handle, find some store models and try it out.

Cool...yeah I just read about the difference at apple.com. I have seen the older ones and the newer ones...just wasn't paying attention.

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
Personally I prefer the feel of the mechanical wheel but I really understand and respect the desire to have no moving parts (aside from the harddrive) AND to allow the machine to be even thinner.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
All I have to say is that I am in love with my 10GB but I am sure that I would be in love with a 5GB model as well except for the fact that all my music would not fit on a 5.

It takes SO long, though, to convert all my CDs to MP3 and then, when I finally finished, I accidently deleted everything on my 2nd Hard Drive. :(

I had to quickly switch my iPod from Auto to Manual so it did not delete everything on it.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
The CompUSA in Concord, CA has older iPods cheap; $299 for 10 GB, and $199 for 5. Now if only I had money to spend on things other than car insurance...

boo-bear

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho
Go for the 20gig

The 20 gig is the best deal for the money, and leaves plenty of room for all your contacts, and calendar events if you want those features. No regrets on the purchase here, well worth the money.

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
@ the Apple retail stores

I was finally in the market for an iPod recently. I was planning on getting a 5GB iPod after the 20GB was introduced. When I went to the Apple retail store, they had both the original 5GB and 10GB version for reduced prices. They were charging $349 for a first run 10GB iPod, then quoted me $299 for a refurbished model. After that I got it for $269 with a student discount. So I walked out the door with a 10GB iPod for the price of a current 5GB iPod, after taking into account my student discount. Caveat emptor: new technology will be faster or larger with less cost.

I lucked out with my purchase as the Apple Retail Employee wasn't sure he should have given me my discount for ecucation when he did, but since he hadn't heard anything against it, he did it anyway.

RL

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
a bit off topic but why are there appz that can transfer songs from the iPod to the computer when you can do it yourself by just putting them in your own custom folder?

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Originally posted by mmmdreg
a bit off topic but why are there appz that can transfer songs from the iPod to the computer when you can do it yourself by just putting them in your own custom folder?

something that isnt particularly obvious is that apple does not allow users to transfer songs from the ipod to you local machine.. programs can be used exploiting this anti-piracy feature..

you can, however, simply transfer songs to the ipod as if it were a hard drive, but they will not be accessible as tunes you can play.

hope this made sense...

-f

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I just got my iPod 5 minutes ago!!! I was woken up by the doorbell, and it was the fed-ex guy!

I'm so happy!!!

I got the 10gb iPod. If you're looking to get the 5gb iPod, but think you can save up more for the 10, go for the 10. If you need the 20, than go for that one, but I really don't need if (for now, at least :D)

I love the little iPod's... I love 'em good...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i have the og ipod. mechanical wheel and all

i liked how it spins.

now it spins too much. if i tilt it to one side or the other, the wheel sometimes spins (thus either blasting my ears out or turning the volume to 0). it's annoying.

the touch wheel is something i didn't really grasp til i touched one. it's quite smooth... plus, i'm guessing the newer hard drives and overall build will just be improved (firewire port cap, etc)

i think i'd go with the 10.

the 5 is not enough for my music anymore either... but then again, i can always just swap out stuff.... or steal my girlfriend's 10 gb... hmm..

20 gb is good if you have the cash. though i don't think the few megs used up by contacts/calendars would sway me to get it... however, the fact that hard drive space is always useful would. if i had 500 to spend..

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2002
Well I've decided I'm going for the 10 (the 5 is to old of technology) but now the question is when to buy?

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
You guys kill me... 5GB is too small? It is old technology? Please... even the 5GB iPod is lightyears ahead of any manufacturers. 5GB is still alot of songs...and I am sure that most have not filled this much up unless you are just downloading tons of garbage you don;t really listen to. That said, I just ordered the 10GB iPod.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by hippy
Hi,

I have just tried to order an 800mhz Ti powerbook from http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk here in the UK. The guy told me they have no stock of the said item, and Apple have been unable to tell them when they will receive any new stock !

Does this mean a new PB is imminent ????

O.K where did that come from?? Any iPod you get make sure you get the Bose headphones awww they sound awesome!!

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
i have a 5gb ipod and enjoy it a lot. I dont see the big deal with the wheel, but it sounds cool. I have plenty of music and you can easily decide which 5 gb of music you want with you at any given time using the sync by playlist option.

Bottom line, I agree that now is as good as time as any to buy from a product release standpoint

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
i say go for the 10G (i have one my self) cos not only is it the lightest but also the slimest taken not by much but every bit counts. It is also i believe best value for money unless you really do need more the 10G of space to carry round. as mentioned before you also have the added value of the remote case and the touch wheel over the 5G version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.