Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

togruber

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
Hi,
I have many many iPods in my collection and often buy, refurbish und sell them. I guess 10-20% of the used iPod 7th gen I buy have an issue I call "draining battery issue". Every iPod I open I connect a new battery to and check the voltage. After a full charge the voltage ist about 4,17 V. Day by day the voltage drops as shown in the diagram.

Voltage loss iPod classic 7th gen.png

That's normal, but some iPods have a mastic voltage drop. After a few days the battery has lost so much voltage that it even doesn't power on. I guess some component of the logic board must be defective, but I don't know which one. Do you have any ideas?

In my collection I have 9 iPods 1st gen. 2 weeks ago I charged them and after a week 5 of them had a massive voltage drop and didn't even power on. My only solution is the modification of the Hold-switch. I turned it into a power switch.

Hold-switch-mod:
I soldered the hold switch off the logic board and bridged the two left solder points. Tape them with antistatic tape. Then I soldered the red lead off the battery board and soldered another on. I soldered the two ends of the red leads to the two left pins of the switch (new one: C&K AYZ0102AGRLC) and soldered it back to the board. You can also use super glue! Now the Hold button works as on/off switch that prevents the battery from discharging/draining.

used switch: C&K AYZ0102AGRLC

shopping.png

The hold-switch-mod is my way to make an iPod 1st gen work longer than a few days. But I would prefer a repair of the defective component of the logic board. Any help is welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.