Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Einherjar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
French restrictions limit output to 100db or lower on audio-playing devices like CD or MP3 players.

Apple got faced with a fine when introducing the iPods there, so a firmware update for European 'pods dropped the output max to 100db--this hack probably just changes that portion of the firmware back.

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Does anyone know of a hack to up the volume on US ipods? It could just be cuz my headphones are weak, but I have my iPod at 90-100% most of the time.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
This will work

wowoah said:
Does anyone know of a hack to up the volume on US ipods? It could just be cuz my headphones are weak, but I have my iPod at 90-100% most of the time.

When you have your ipod connected, select all the song on your iPod, then hold down the Apple Key and I- change the volume settings to the highest level. That should do it. It does for me anyway.

I do the same with my main library in iTunes.

Einherjar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Make sure that you're not using high-impedance headphones with the iPod--using studio quality 600 ohm headphones will result in a weak signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.