Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
IPP 11 G2 (on iOS 14 db4)
Magic Keyboard vs Logitech Folio

This will be a “short” comparison via use of these two IPP accessories.
I have been using a Logitech Folio for over a year. First with my G1 IPP 11 and later with the G2 model. It has been a workhorse from day one. I originally bought it as the ASK did not have backlighting as an option.

Logitech Folio (LF) is a very good smart keyboard. There are keyboard options for many of the IPP functions and it is comfortable to use with a complete set of keys (including function keys).
Pros:
Full range of keys
Adjustable backlighting
Can use with the IPP in Portrait or Landscape
Has keyboard options for many IPP functions
Has a real keyboard feel to the keys
Long battery life
Cons:
Bluetooth connection means lag for some activities
Has to be seperately charged - has it’s own battery
Not an easy attach / remove from the LF

I originally was not going to get a MK. I read a lot about them and was able to try one for a 12.9” IPP. However I ended up with a $250 Amazon Gift Card and decided to order one via Amazon who had them on sale.

Apple Magic Keyboard (MK) is a good smart keyboard. I am in the process of learning shortcut key options to make up for a lack of physical function keys. As a touch typist I have to agree with some that have complained about the position of the screen vs key locations. In the few days I have used this, nicking the bottom of the IPP is common. Seeing how / if I can adjust. Still trying to get used to the touchpad - its accuracy, maybe it takes time, is not as precise as I hoped.
Pros:
Quality build with a solid feel
Touchpad built in
Do not need to charge the MK
Does not use BT - no BT lag
Great key spacing
Very solid build and the magnets really hold it sturdy
Cons:
No realistic portrait option when typing
Screen placement does interfere (mildly so far) for touch typists or if you have large hands / long fingers (I have all of these)
No physical functional keys - trying to learn keyboard shortcuts in place of this
The keyboard reminds me more of an ASK than an actual laptop.
Has a number of things “to get used to” instead of just diving right in and using

Summary:
So far I like both of these devices. For daily use I am more comfortable using the LF and will have to see in the future if my feelings change. One last note, my other half says my typing on the MK is a lot louder that when I type on the LF.

5AF39B0F-6E3F-46D4-AE41-962F949DDAB4.jpeg 257C64A7-B748-4673-94BD-46B14C6A3D36.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tops2 and uzubairu

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
Thanks for the comparison.

How's using the ipad on the lap with these 2 options? The Logitech Folio's setup looks okay for the lap (vs the kickstand on the Logitech Combo Touch by my guess)...

I like my iPad Pro 11 a lot, but occasionally I'd like to use it on the lap and mess around with programming (learning Python)..but haven't found a way to easily use it on the lap. I've resigned to just use it in my tablet stand with separate Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K380).

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Thanks for the comparison.

How's using the ipad on the lap with these 2 options? The Logitech Folio's setup looks okay for the lap (vs the kickstand on the Logitech Combo Touch by my guess)...

I like my iPad Pro 11 a lot, but occasionally I'd like to use it on the lap and mess around with programming (learning Python)..but haven't found a way to easily use it on the lap. I've resigned to just use it in my tablet stand with separate Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K380).

Lap use is okay at best. Neither is the most stable. Still, kicking back on the couch I have used both and it works. Just don’t make any sudden changes in position ;)

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Update:
Been using this for almost a month now. Swapping back and forth with the Logitech Folio as I work my way through the 14 betas.

Opinion:
Decent keyboard with some great aspects and a couple of big misses.

Pluses;
Good solid build.
It is easy to close and carry - one hand ops.
Keys have a decent travel and feel to them.
IPP connects solidly to the back.
The inclusion of a separate charging port is a winner.
It isn't BT.
Has a decent track pad.

Minuses:
Cost. This baby is not cheap.
No real portrait orientation - you can but it doesn't work well.
The position of the IPP - if you have long fingers you will nick the bottom of the screen.
No function keys - a real miss.
While it is easy to close, it is much harder to open - not one handed.
Has a decent but not great track pad. Finer more precise control needed.
Keyboard is good but could have a more solid laptop type feel.

Opinion:
The MK did not make it to become my daily keyboard. Unless this really fills a need or you can get it cheap, I would recommend waiting. The lack of function keys and the overall position / layout needs improvement.
Overall it is not a bad accessory, the cost makes it a "not buy" IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.