Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
You guys, don't laugh at me, but I'm looking into eventually getting an iPT 7th gen for media consumption. I have a 6 that has TERRIBLE battery life. can't stay off the charger for 10 minutes without it draining like crazy.

I'm gonna wait for it to hopefully go on sale (or pick up a used SE but i'm always skeptical about buying used products), but those of you who have it, I'm assuming the battery life is better?

Reactions: determined09

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Battery life is excellent. I use mine for music and is how I stream my Apple Music and iTunes TV and Movies, using the hdmi adapter when needed. Was the minimum cost to keep what I already purchased in the ecosystem.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If battery life is your only concern then you might want to look at getting the battery replaced than buying something new. It’ll probably be more cost effective.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You guys, don't laugh at me, but I'm looking into eventually getting an iPT 7th gen for media consumption. I have a 6 that has TERRIBLE battery life. can't stay off the charger for 10 minutes without it draining like crazy.

I'm gonna wait for it to hopefully go on sale (or pick up a used SE but i'm always skeptical about buying used products), but those of you who have it, I'm assuming the battery life is better?
I got a used SE with a degraded battery... it ran circles around my iPod touch 6th gen in battery life. ?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
It's right there on the 4th line of the chart...

iPod touch
All eligible models$129$79

Oh, I gotcha. I was looking directly across and didn’t realize it was under a different category. Still, $79 is not worth it tbh
[automerge]1569315391[/automerge]
I got a used SE with a degraded battery... it ran circles around my iPod touch 6th gen in battery life. ?

I bet it did, I don’t know it has such terrible battery life. Do you know anything about buying an SE or a 7 under those prepaid carriers? Do you have to activate the phone or no? Sometimes they have good deals but I don’t want to buy it and find out it only works with their service.

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Battery life is good if you leave it in Airplane Mode most of the time.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I bet it did, I don’t know it has such terrible battery life. Do you know anything about buying an SE or a 7 under those prepaid carriers? Do you have to activate the phone or no? Sometimes they have good deals but I don’t want to buy it and find out it only works with their service.
You can get a prepaid phone and just use it under WIFI. You don't have to activate it. Also check out swappa, There's decent deals to be had right now.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It's right there on the 4th line of the chart...

iPod touch
All eligible models$129$79

Don’t bother.

I had my iPT6 battery "replaced” less than a year ago. They sent me a “new” old stock with iOS 8 or 9on it. I don’t remember exactly which OS it was.

Anyway, within a year, the battery swelled, broke everything, and died.

even iFixit says the battery isn’t user replaceable so I just threw it away.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

SE is definitely the better option. I had a 6th gen iPod touch that I used just for music and you could practically watch the battery drain if you tried to use wifi... from what I’ve heard the 7th gen is only marginally better. I eventually bought a gently used iPhone SE and the battery life is at least double... probably more. Performance wise the SE is comparable to the 7th gen iPod touch too. No real advantage to the Touch other than maybe being a little thinner and probably longer iOS support.

Reactions: arefbe and colodane

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009

Don't laugh but my father has the 5th generation that he has over 200 podcast on it and he may upgrade to the 7th gen. Dude, you are not alone that is for sure. But he has the Iphone 8 for his phone and he wants to keep podcast on his ipod touch.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
The battery on the iPod touch 7 is better as the newer processor I think handles the power use better. That being said, last week my three month old iPod touch 7 started draining so quickly that if I just sat it down and did nothing with it, it would be dead in 3-4 hours. I contacted Apple and they are taking care of me so no worries, but when it was working I thought the battery life was better than the touch 6.

Reactions: determined09

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
The battery life is nowhere as good as the Classic, but the Touch life is probably longer.
My Touch drains to 50% in a couple of hours Bluetoothing music to an Echo. Liveable.
Backup EVRYTHING to on and off line media if you have 16K music tracks as I do, and intend to upgrade
to any new Apple OS or IOS. So far IOS 13.1.2 seems usable, but a MacOS several upgrades ago lost a lot of my iPhoto images. Suggest hold off any upgrade for at least several months. Recent Apple upgrades generating tons of forum gripes, including loss of photos and other data.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018

Just curious, what media use would the Touch have if you already have an iPhone 11 Pro and an iPad? Not putting you down for it, they still do make decent media players.

If you aren't using Bluetooth or the web very much, the life might be decent. Brightness still has a great affect on battery life too.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Just curious, what media use would the Touch have if you already have an iPhone 11 Pro and an iPad? Not putting you down for it, they still do make decent media players.

If you aren't using Bluetooth or the web very much, the life might be decent. Brightness still has a great affect on battery life too.

Well just twitter, facebook, instagram.. all the stuff that drains battery the most. I guess I’m OCD about my battery on my phone, lol.

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Well just twitter, facebook, instagram.. all the stuff that drains battery the most. I guess I’m OCD about my battery on my phone, lol.
I can definitely see why you'd want to divert the drain to another device, that was one of the main arguments for the use of an iPad when it came out, was to save your phone battery.

If that's what you'll be doing, it should be enough. Of course it depends on how much time you spend on it. In that case you could probably turn Bluetooth off, which might save some battery life.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Well since I got my replacement iPod touch in the mail the other day the battery seems even better before my old one died on me. I think the new processor runs it more efficiently making it last longer than the previous generation of iPod touches.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I purchased a 7th generation to be separate music device for at home. When I'm out, my iPhone 11 Pro and AirPods can't be beat, but at home I like to use separate headphones and I like having a device with nearly all features disabled.

The batter life is better than the 6th generation, but not night and day.

Listening to local music with WiFi off can last me for several days of 4-5 hours of listening. Last night I feel asleep streaming internet radio for about 2 hours and it used about 25% of the battery.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Don't laugh but my father has the 5th generation that he has over 200 podcast on it and he may upgrade to the 7th gen. Dude, you are not alone that is for sure. But he has the Iphone 8 for his phone and he wants to keep podcast on his ipod touch.
Heh... I still use an iPod Classic for music. Even though it's a used model, it still has very good batterhy life. With an 80 GB capacity, I'm fairly set for life. The scroll wheel makes it much easier to navigate by touch alone.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I purchased a 7th generation to be separate music device for at home. When I'm out, my iPhone 11 Pro and AirPods can't be beat, but at home I like to use separate headphones and I like having a device with nearly all features disabled.

The batter life is better than the 6th generation, but not night and day.

Listening to local music with WiFi off can last me for several days of 4-5 hours of listening. Last night I feel asleep streaming internet radio for about 2 hours and it used about 25% of the battery.

Hmm.. I’m contemplating on getting an refurb iPhone 7 as an iPT and probably will be better on battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.